Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Suman Ray <ma...@gmail.com> on 2006/05/03 20:57:40 UTC

Fwd: Contributing and Starting A New Project With Apache

May be my last mail was misdirected. Request please go through my email
below and respond.
Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Mike Milinkovich wrote:

> So the content at
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#incubator
> which says in part that the "...basic requirements for incubation
> are...a working codebase..." needs to be refreshed?

Projects usually do come with some code, but the real key is the interest of
Members to Mentor the project.

	--- Noel

RE: Contributing and Starting A New Project With Apache

Posted by Mike Milinkovich <mi...@eclipse.org>.
Interesting. So the content at
http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#incubator which says in
part that the "...basic requirements for incubation are...a working
codebase..." needs to be refreshed?

I don't mean to be argumentative. Just trying to understand the rules at
Apache.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
Fair enough. This is not the first time I am misinterpreting a
procedural issue. Things are confusing at times here...

Andrus

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
Hi,

My understanding is that the Apache incubator accepts outside
projects if they are already in a working shape and have a developer
and user community around them (although I think the community part
is something that is not a condition for entering the incubator, but
is required for graduation, as is often the case with open sourced
commercial products).

For the list of criteria that the incubator looks at you may browse
through existing accepted proposals:

http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/

As for how you can start, you may register a project on SourceForge
or a similar free open source dev site and start developing it there
using Apache license. This is the most straightforward way to learn
how the open source process works and to build a community around the
code.

Also I think you did the right thing posting your idea here, as this
way you may find supporters from within Apache.

Cheers,
Andrus