Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Ryan McDonough <rm...@mac.com> on 2003/03/21 18:25:05 UTC

Using a file upload form to add content to slide

I know it is possible to browser nodes in a web with slide. I'm curious to
know if it is possible to add a file to a slide store using an HTML form
with a file upload? Is it as simple as setting the form's method to PUT or
is the process much more involved? Any help on this matter is greatly
appreciated as I have no idea as to where to start.

Ryan-

--
"He who laughs last, thinks slowest."

Re: Using a file upload form to add content to slide

Posted by Kevin Moran <gr...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Ryan,
    FWIW, I found this in the mail archives:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=slide-user&m=100868608904419&w=2.
 Hope this helps.

-kevin

Posted by Andreas Probst <an...@gmx.net>.
On 21 Mar 2003 at 12:25, Ryan McDonough wrote:

> I know it is possible to browser nodes in a web with slide. I'm
> curious to know if it is possible to add a file to a slide store
> using an HTML form with a file upload? Is it as simple as setting
> the form's method to PUT or is the process much more involved?
> Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated as I have no idea
> as to where to start.

If you don't want to copy the behaviour of the PutMethod you
could do the following:

Upload the normal POST way. Then from within the servlet which
handles the POST open a WebDAV connection to Slide. Just
instanciate a WebdavResource and do a putMethod(). Doing this
you don't need to re-invent the wheel of putting files into
Slide. What you need are the user credentials: user name is easy
to get, password can be read out of Slide using the Slide API.
It becomes a little bit more tricky if you want to enable
locking.

I'd recommend to use the WebDAV-client API to write into Slide
and the Slide API to read from Slide.

In my thesis I used this mixed approach to implement the web-
based (i.e. HTTP) interface for the WebDAV repository.

Andreas