Posted to soap-user@xml.apache.org by Naresh Agarwal <na...@yahoo.com> on 2001/09/28 10:42:29 UTC

Are IIS/Tomcat multi-threaded??

Hi

I want to ask something about the servers ( IIS for MS-Soap, Tomcat for
Apache-Soap), which host the Soap services

Are these servers (IIS and Tomcat) multithreaded, i.e. for each request, a
new thread is spawned which handles that particular request.

If yes, then any thread safe service, which is deployed in "application"
scope can handle multiple requests, as each request would run on a separate
thread ( spawned by IIS/Tomcat), which wud access the same instance of Soap
server(deployed in Application scope).

Please clarify.

thanks,

Regards,
Naresh Agar

Re: Are IIS/Tomcat multi-threaded??

Posted by Don Gourley <go...@wrlc.org>.
I can't speak to IIS, but Tomcat (like any implementation of the
JSDK spec) is multithreaded and will spawn a new thread in the
SOAP rpcrouter servlet to handle each web service request.  If your
service is deployed with application scope then just one instance
of the service class will be loaded and used by each thread.  I
have several application scope web services deployed on Tomcat in
production that work this way.

-Don

Posted by Don Gourley <go...@wrlc.org>.