Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Jeff Turner <je...@socialchange.net.au> on 2002/03/07 04:41:06 UTC

[OT] SEDA-like "flow based programming"

Mentioned on the ever-interesting XML-DEV mailing list, flow-based
programming, which sounds rather SEDA-like:

"In "Flow-Based Programming" (FBP), applications are defined as networks
of "black box" processes, which exchange data across predefined
connections. These black box processes can be reconnected endlessly to
form different applications without having to be changed internally.
When using FBP, the application developer works with flows of data,
being processed asynchronously, rather than the conventional single
hierarchy of sequential, procedural code.
This implementation was written by John Cowan and tweaked by me. It
allows a developer to specify an application as a network of nodes,
which are long-running Java threads, connected by fixed-capacity
connections, over which data objects travel.  We feel this approach
lends itself to server applications where high throughput is required.
It is easy to multiplex components that are either I/O-bound or
CPU-bound (in the latter case this allows us to take advantage of the
multiple processors in current machines). "

	http://www.jpaulmorrison.com/fbp/

--Jeff