Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Leonard Gestrin <Le...@markettools.com> on 2006/11/03 22:34:29 UTC

selecting active profiles and maven-help-plugin does not work as expected/configuring plugin-repository cauze plugin to be not executed?

Hello,

I have the following setup:

1. Defined "internal" , "external" profiles  in settings.xml and set
"internal" as active.  "external" profile has plugin repository
configuration. (this play important role for some reason)

2. Defined "jsp-comp"  profile to activate jsp compilation for the build
in "compile" goal in parent-pom.xml

3, webapp pom.xml uses the parent pom.

$mvn -Pinternal, jsp-compile compile -  I can see that internal and
jsp-compile profiles are being used (jsps are compiled)

$mvn -Pexternal, jsp-compile compile -  I can see that external is used
but jsp-compile is ignored!. (jsps are not compiled)

Anybody has any clue why this might be the case?  Plugin "help" does not
seem to be helpful since it appears to simply print out settings.xml (or
it's portions) and can present flat pom.xml but seem to ignore
information in parent's pom.xml with respect to profiles.

I also noticed that jsp-compile does work in conjunction with "external"
profile if I comment out this section in "external" profile definition.

<pluginRepositories>

        <pluginRepository>

          <id>ibiblio.org</id>

          <name>Maven Plugin Repository</name>

          <layout>default</layout>

          <url>http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2</url>

          <snapshots>

            <updatePolicy>interval:60</updatePolicy>

            <enabled>false</enabled>

          </snapshots>

          <releases>

            <updatePolicy>never</updatePolicy>

          </releases>

  </pluginRepository>

Executing commands in webapp dir

$mvn help:effective-setting    prints "internal" is active.

$mvn -Pexternal help:effective-setting    prints "internal" is active
again. <-  is this wrong? The book says that -P option should overwrite
active profile? When I build application I do see that external profile
is being used.

Thanks

Leonard

Re: partial answer to first part: RE: selecting active profiles and maven-help-plugin does not work as expected/configuring plugin-repository cauze plugin to be not executed?

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
I actually use the "test" or "package" phases myself by default when
I'm working on webapps, not "compile", so I haven't noticed this
myself.

You could dig into the jspc-maven-plugin to find out what phase(s) the
plugin is configured to run in by default. And of course you can tell
the plugin to execute in a particular phase (in addition to its
default) in your own pom.

Perhaps you could start using a phase other than compile when you run
mvn and you want to have your JSPs compiled?

Wayne

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.