Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com> on 2018/12/11 18:16:04 UTC

Java 11.

I just noticed that Solr's CHANGES.txt has this at the beginning:

You need a Java 1.8 VM or later installed.

Is this still what we want to say between now and whenever we
understand the various failures on jdk 9, 10, 11 and 12? Do we want to
specifically say that 9 and 10 are not recommended?

Re: Java 11.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the explanation Uwe!

I just tracked this down and Jetty has been upgraded to Jetty
9.4.14.v20181114 in 7.7 as well as master, in SOLR-13030 as part of
Mark's bug swatting work.

So to recap, Java 9, 10, 11 are OK for production use as long as TLS
1.3 is _not_ in the picture. The (seemingly) increased number of test
failures are timing related test issues, not relevant to production
use of Solr/Lucene.  Solr 7.7 is the minimum version that _may_
support TLS 1.3 since Jetty has been upgraded to 9.4.14 in that
version, but that has not been verified yet.

Is the above accurate? I'm assuming this includes OpenJDK as well
(people will ask).

I'm trying to get a succinct statement here for clients...

Thanks again,
Erick

Thanks again
Erick

RE: Java 11.

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Hi Erick,

according to Jetty release logs: For Java 11 support, Jetty should be updated to latest version released this November: 9.4.14 - which we have already done in master (not sure about 7.x). Unfortunately the release candidate of 7.6 is on Jetty 9.4.11 which has no Java 11 support for TLS 1.3 at all. IMHO, we should update this ASAP, but this only affects support for TLS 1.3 - so it's more a security fix.

From what I see, the issues are more test issues because it happens randomly like "no live nodes available, connection timed out /...." I think the issues here is that timing slightly changed, so tests fail more often (there seems to be the problem that tests don't really get the correct time when "jetty has fully started and accepts connections" - this is at least how it was explained to me on berlinbuzzwords). Depending on timing (e.g, Jetty is slow in starting up, it's hammered with requests already). The new TLS functionality in JDK 11 seem to slow down startup times - no idea. Maybe Mark Miller can explain better what's sometimes wrong with timing. The previous statement can be nonsense at all, it was just my understanding when talking with other committers on berlinbuzzwords.

Re: Java 11.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

RE: Java 11.