Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Apache Jenkins Server <je...@builds.apache.org> on 2020/02/01 21:26:46 UTC

Calcite-Master - Build # 1588 - Failure

The Apache Jenkins build system has built Calcite-Master (build #1588)

Check console output at https://builds.apache.org/job/Calcite-Master/1588/ to view the results.

Re: Calcite-Master - Build # 1588 - Failure

Posted by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com>.
Alessandro> What do you usually do in such cases (transient failures)?

There are multiple ways (it no order):
A) Ignore the failure (as it is not related to your changes)
B) Ignore the failure and add a comment on the PR/JIRA like "CI fails with
timeout in org.apache.calcite.adapter.elasticsearch.Projection2Test >
initializationError which seems to be unrelated "
C) Analyze the root cause and fix it (e.g. provide a separate PR or just
add a commit to existing PR)
D) Log a JIRA case. JIRA should have a copy of the stacktrace (CI logs
might fade over time).
See samples at
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-3750?filter=-2&jql=project%3DCALCITE%20AND%20text%20~%20Intermittent%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20%20ORDER%20BY%20created%20DESC
E) Send an email to dev@calcite.a.o as you did

When I review PRs I can tolerate CI failures (== I can review even if there
are failures).
However, it still takes time to open the relevant log and verify the reason
for the failure,
so it really helps when PR author summarizes CI status in case of failure.

Vladimir

Re: Calcite-Master - Build # 1588 - Failure

Posted by Alessandro Solimando <al...@gmail.com>.
Thanks a lot Vladimir, your fix on master indeed solved my issue.

Unfortunately this time AppVeyor failed on ElasticSearchAdapterTest due to
a "java.net.SocketTimeoutException" (link to the build
https://ci.appveyor.com/project/ApacheSoftwareFoundation/calcite/builds/30510892/job/0o5meoj2omuxadi8
).

What do you usually do in such cases (transient failures)?

Shall I wait or try to re-trigger Travis again?

Best regards,
Alessandro

Posted by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alessandro Solimando <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi Vladimir,
I see, so most probably not related to the problem I am having.

What do you mean by "Calcite never uses Jenkins for PR validation."?

Posted by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Calcite never uses Jenkins for PR validation.

>I had a CI failure on my PR (on code unrelated to my PR which concerns only
CassandraAdapter),

Can you provide the link to your PR?

>Check console output at https://builds.apache.org/job/Calcite-Master/1588/ to
view the results.

This failure is a true failure.

The error is below:

CoreQuidemTest > [13] sql/functions.iq FAILED
    org.opentest4j.AssertionFailedError: Files differ:
/home/jenkins/jenkins-slave/workspace/Calcite-Master/jdk/JDK 1.8
(latest)/label_exp/ubuntu&&!cloud-slave&&!H27&&!ubuntu-4&&!test-nodes/ws/core/build/resources/test/sql/surefire/sql/functions.iq
/home/jenkins/jenkins-slave/workspace/Calcite-Master/jdk/JDK 1.8
(latest)/label_exp/ubuntu&&!cloud-slave&&!H27&&!ubuntu-4&&!test-nodes/ws/core/build/resources/test/sql/functions.iq
    65a66

Posted by Alessandro Solimando <al...@gmail.com>.
Hello,
I had a CI failure on my PR (on code unrelated to my PR which concerns only
CassandraAdapter), as per documentation I have re-triggered with an empty
commit and I get errors again.

At first I thought about a difference between my local (Linux) setup and
the Linux job in Travis, but the second run saw also Windows and MacOSX
failure, which passed before the empty commit.

Am I the only one experiencing this?

Best regards.
Alessandro