Posted to l10n@openoffice.apache.org by Aivaras Stepukonis <as...@gmail.com> on 2014/06/27 00:37:07 UTC

Website: Detecting Visitor's Locale

Wouldn't it be great for the website to automatically detect the
visitor's locale and open the website in his/her language?

For instance, Mozilla does this. I type in <http://www.mozilla.org> and
it automatically refers me to <http://www.mozilla.org/lt/> as I'm from
Lithuania. I find it very convenient.

Regards,

Aivaras

Re: Re: Website: Detecting Visitor's Locale

Posted by Michael Bauer <fi...@akerbeltz.org>.
As long as that does not *replace* a manual selection option, fine. But
doing this only via force locale is a death-blow to content in many
medium to small locales because most of them do not have localized OS or
browsers or they're not widespread (yet).

Michael

30/06/2014 18:58, sgrìobh Aivaras Stepukonis:

--
*Akerbeltz <http://www.faclair.com/>*
Goireasan Gàidhlig air an lìon

*Tha Gàidhlig aig a' choimpiutair agad, siuthad, feuch e!*
Iomadh rud eadar prògraman oifis, brabhsairean, predictive texting,
geamannan is mòran a bharrachd. Tadhail oirnn aig www.iGàidhlig.net
<http://www.iGaidhlig.net/>

Re: Website: Detecting Visitor's Locale

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 05/07/2014 Marcus (OOo) wrote:
> Isn't it just the addition of the 2 new variables introduced by Tal
> recently? For "pt" and "lt" I've seen them in the "brand.mdtext". Does
> it not work?

Those two variables are about the select and govern what the select
label and value are. So they are used to display, for example,
"Language: English" or "Lingua: Italiano" (one variable is the
translation for the word "Language", the other one is the value that
should appear as selected in the select).

Here we are discussing if it's possible to redirect the MAIN English
site based on language preferences: I open http://www.openoffice.org and
(for whitelisted languages, such as "pt" and "lt") I am automatically
redirected to http://www.openoffice.org/pt or similar.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Website: Detecting Visitor's Locale

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 07/05/2014 02:30 PM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
> On 30/06/2014 Pedro Albuquerque wrote:
>> the Portuguese-Pt subsite http://www.openoffice.org/pt/ is up-to-date
>> and ready for redirecting.
>
> (Hello again, Marcus! A lot of ongoing site discussions on the l10n list
> lately...)

;-)

> I doubt we can do anything server-side on the Apache infrastructure. So
> the language negotiation (i.e., detecting that the user prefers to see
> -as in the Accept-Language directive- content in Lithuanian or
> Portuguese) should all be done by JavaScript, but I don't know if
> reliable solutions exist, besides some workarounds that can be easily
> found online searching for how to detect language in JavaScript.
>
> Maybe we have code in the download page that could be reused to guess
> the preferred language and, based on that, redirect "lt" and "pt" users
> to their localized page? If anyone is going to work on that we can
> probably implement it for lt and pt and then, on request, for other
> languages where we have well-maintained subsites.

Isn't it just the addition of the 2 new variables introduced by Tal
recently? For "pt" and "lt" I've seen them in the "brand.mdtext". Does
it not work?

Marcus

Re: Website: Detecting Visitor's Locale

Posted by Pedro Albuquerque <pa...@gmail.com>.
Em 09-07-2014 23:21, Marcus (OOo) escreveu:
> Am 07/07/2014 11:30 PM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
>> On 07/07/2014 Marcus (OOo) wrote:
>>> This means to split-up that some languages get a redirecting and some
>>> not? Hm, I don't like this idea of special treatment.
>>
>> I was the one to suggest this. I'll explain a bit. The Italian website
>> for example is reasonably up-to-date for the main parts, but it still
>> has lots of outdated content. If a person sees the English site and
>> then, using the select explicitly, goes to the Italian site, he is aware
>> that there is a nicer, possibly more up-to-date, English site available.
>> If the automatic redirection is done, he could have a wrong impression.
>> This is why I proposed that translation teams can state that their site
>> is "ready",
>>
>>> Sorry, but I still don't think that an automatic redirecting on our
>>> initial homepage is a good idea. That would mean the user is never
>>> able to go to another webpage with redirection as it would
>>> result again in another immediate redirection.
>>
>> This is a very important point. If I get it right (or you meant
>> something else?), the danger you see is that someone automatically
>> redirected to the PT site cannot go back to the English site and see the
>> home page in English. There are a few ways to fix this (like sniffing
>> the referer, or sending the "English" link in the select to something
>> that includes a fragment), but this is indeed to be fixed: we can't lock
>> visitors out of the English home page.
>
> Sure, this is one point. But to fix this we have to implement another
> fix and increase complexity. But what would be the real advantage?
>
> To get somehow forward I've searched a bit in the Internet and
> stumbled over Amazon's feature:
>
> When browsing as German user to "http://www.amazon.com" then I get a
> message hint (shown as graphic) if I would like to visit the German
> website "http://www.amazon.de". Click on it and then you will be
> redirected. Maybe you can see the same within your country.
>
> http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/gateway/crossover/germany_660x50._V153157210_.png
>

> This feature means:
>
> - No automatism that user maybe don't want to have.
> - The user can go to the localized website with one click.
> - The hint is not disturbing as it is no pop-up or dialog box.
>
> If we want to point the users to their localized websites, then this
> is what I would like to see implemented.
>
> We can show a message box over the current list items if the website
> identifies a user that could be redirected to her/his localized NL
> website.
>
> @All:
> What do you think?

Hi,
you are absolutely right. This solution even prevents undesired
redirections if one is using a vpn/proxy.
I agree!
Regards,
Pedro.

Re: Website: Detecting Visitor's Locale

Posted by Aivaras Stepukonis <as...@gmail.com>.
I'm not sure I'm understanding Marcus' concerns correctly.

We already have redirecting on the website. On the download page,
visitors from Lithuania are offered to download the LT version of AOO -
Lithuanian (Lietuvių) (lt) - as their first option. This is a good
practice as for the majority of visitors from Lithuania the LT version
of AOO is what their looking for.

It is the minor fraction of visitors/visits (i.e., when a Lithuanian
visitor wants to download a Chinese or English version) that is expected
to do an extra click and scroll, not vice versa.

The same thing with the website. The majority of visitors from Lithuania
will prefer the website in Lithuanian. No need to ask them if their do.
It is not politeness, it is necessary distraction.

My suggestion would be to implement a smooth redirect with the extra
clicking reserved for those rare occasions when the website in the
visitor's native language was not his/her intention.

Posted by Tal Daniel <ta...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Aivaras Stepukonis | Apache OpenOffice <as...@apache.org>.
Simple and flexible. Many thanks, Marcus!

Regards,

Aivaras

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 07/21/2014 10:01 PM, schrieb Pedro Albuquerque:
>> If you want to see the English string in Portuguese, then please give
>> me the translation:
>>
>> "This site is also available in Português [Europeu] (pt). Just click
>> this text to get redirected.".
> Hi Marcus, here it is:
>
> "Este site também está disponível em Português [Europeu] (pt). Clique
> neste texto para ser redirecionado."

done, have fun. :-)

Marcus

Re: Website: Detecting Visitor's Locale

Posted by Pedro Albuquerque <pa...@gmail.com>.

> If you want to see the English string in Portuguese, then please give
> me the translation:
>
> "This site is also available in Português [Europeu] (pt). Just click
> this text to get redirected.".
Hi Marcus, here it is:

"Este site também está disponível em Português [Europeu] (pt). Clique
neste texto para ser redirecionado."

Thanks a lot.
Regards,
Pedro.

Re: Website: Detecting Visitor's Locale

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 07/21/2014 09:30 AM, schrieb Pedro Albuquerque:
> Em 20-07-2014 19:48, Marcus (OOo) escreveu:

>>> as there seem to be no objections or further comments I'll change it
>>> Sunday or early next week.
>>
>> done.
>>
>> The following options are available:
>> - "soft" = First a customizable text is shown, redirecting by clicking.
>> - "hard" = No text is shown, immediate redirecting.
>> - "none" = No text is shown, no redirecting.
>>
>> Set data for now:
>> - German + Hebrew + Italian = Soft
>> - Lithuanian = Hard
>> - all other = None *)
>>
>> *) If you want to join in this feature please update the
>> "/msg_prop_l10n.js" file in the respective line for your language. Or
>> tell me the data you would like to see there. Then I'm happy to update
>> it.
> Hi Marcus,
> Since I can't access "/msg_prop_l10n.js" via CMS, please set the
> Portuguese-Pt site to "Soft".
> Great work, thank you.

done and published, so it should work already.

If you want to see the English string in Portuguese, then please give me
the translation:

"This site is also available in Português [Europeu] (pt). Just click
this text to get redirected.".

Thanks

Marcus

Re: Website: Detecting Visitor's Locale

Posted by Pedro Albuquerque <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: AOO 4.1.1: Start Menu Icon is Blank

Posted by Aivaras Stepukonis <as...@gmail.com>.
It may have to do with the manual edits. Actually, that's the only
explanation I'm able to come up. What may undermine this explanation is
the fact that the outcome was the same both when installing AOO 4.1.1
over 4.1.0 and when installing 4.1.1 after uninstalling AOO altogether.

I can test the installation once again. But it has to be a bit more
controlled (perhaps with an outlined procedure for a complete removal of
AOO files from the computer before the installation). Any methodical
suggestions are welcome.

Regards,

Aivaras

Posted by Pedro Albuquerque <pa...@gmail.com>.
On 06-08-2014 12:20, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> On 26/07/2014 Aivaras Stepukonis wrote:
>> After installing AOO 4.1.1 on my Windows Vista Machine I noticed the
>> Start Menu icon for "OpenOffice" was blank. Please, take a look at this
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/3n4fsningm9n5xs/Start%20Menu%20Icon%20140726-1.jpg
>>

> This is one of the issues that would need some
> investigation/confirmation before we release 4.1.1. Do you believe
> that it has something to do with your manual edits of the Start menu?
> Losing the main OpenOffice icon looks quite bad, so I hope this is an
> edge case.
I installed RC1 Windows yesterday and everything looks good!

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Aivaras Stepukonis <as...@gmail.com>.
Indeed, the issue is not vital, but I thought it's a good idea to pass
it around it's there in some cases.

Regards,

Aivaras

Posted by Isch <ch...@web.de>.

Posted by Aivaras Stepukonis <as...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Isch <ch...@web.de>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 07/26/2014 06:07 PM, schrieb Pedro Albuquerque:

>> Thanks - also for your patience.
>
> I thank you for your patience and trouble.
> Again, check this  folder
> <http://people.apache.org/%7Epmralbuquerque/Images/Latest_redirect/>  for
> images (there was a missing</b>  but it's corrected).

yes, I've seen this with my testing and fixed it.

> I believe all is fine now.:-)

Hurrah :-)

> Have a nice weekend.

Thanks, same to you.

Marcus

Re: Website: Detecting Visitor's Locale

Posted by Pedro Albuquerque <pa...@gmail.com>.

> Thanks - also for your patience.

I thank you for your patience and trouble.
Again, check this  folder
<http://people.apache.org/%7Epmralbuquerque/Images/Latest_redirect/> for
images (there was a missing </b> but it's corrected). I believe all is
fine now.:-)
Have a nice weekend.
Regards,
Pedro.

Re: Website: Detecting Visitor's Locale

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 07/26/2014 05:34 PM, schrieb Pedro Albuquerque:

>>> Still "pt-PT".
>>
>> OK, new changes. Please test again. What has changed?
>
> Nothing. All four links look the same.

hm, it's really tricky when you have to simulate another browser language.

May I ask you to test again?

Posted by Pedro Albuquerque <pa...@gmail.com>.

http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/index_url.html
http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/index_url.html?redirect=none
http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/index_url.html?redirect=soft
http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/index_url.html?redirect=hard

Re: Website: Detecting Visitor's Locale

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Pedro Albuquerque <pa...@gmail.com>.
> OK, it's still "pt-PT". Please test again and tell me only the ISO
> code in the alert boxes.

Still "pt-PT".

Re: Website: Detecting Visitor's Locale

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 07/26/2014 04:02 PM, schrieb Pedro Albuquerque:

>> Yes, please tell me the output of the alert boxes when using these URLs:
>>
>> http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/index_url.html
>> http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/index_url.html?redirect=none
>> http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/index_url.html?redirect=soft
>> http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/index_url.html?redirect=hard
>>
> Hi again,
> sorry for the delay. Check this folder

don't worry, I don't see a delay. :-)

Posted by Pedro Albuquerque <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 07/26/2014 03:19 PM, schrieb Pedro Albuquerque:

>>> Hi Marcus,
>>>
>>> I'm not sure about this. Using the above links I get hard redirect
>>> <http://people.apache.org/%7Epmralbuquerque/Images/Redirect-hard.png>//like
>>>
>>> this/./ And soft redirect
>>> <http://people.apache.org/%7Epmralbuquerque/Images/Redirect-soft.png>
>>> like this.
>>> If I use http://www.openoffice.org, which leads to the English page,
>>> nothing happens.
>>> Something must be wrong here. Am I using the wrong links?
>>
>> thanks for your screenshots.
>>
>> I think it's the "pt-pt" problem as you can see in the browser URL in
>> the "hard" screenshot. And the text is missing in the "soft" screenshot.
>>
>> I added JS logic to fix this. Please test here:
>>
>> http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/
>
> This
> <http://people.apache.org/%7Epmralbuquerque/Images/Captura%20de%20ecr%c3%a3%20de%202014-07-26%2014:12:51.png>
> is the test result. It seems like the option 'None'.

here the message should be displayed as the default mode is "soft".

Posted by Pedro Albuquerque <pa...@gmail.com>.
On 26-07-2014 13:56, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
> Am 07/26/2014 02:28 PM, schrieb Pedro Albuquerque:
>>

>>> By default the mode and text from the file "msg_prop_l10n.js" will be
>>> used. To be able to override this you can use all 3 ways:
>>>
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/?redirect=none
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/?redirect=soft
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/?redirect=hard
>>>
>> Hi Marcus,
>>
>> I'm not sure about this. Using the above links I get hard redirect
>> <http://people.apache.org/%7Epmralbuquerque/Images/Redirect-hard.png>//like
>>
>> this/./ And soft redirect
>> <http://people.apache.org/%7Epmralbuquerque/Images/Redirect-soft.png>
>> like this.
>> If I use http://www.openoffice.org, which leads to the English page,
>> nothing happens.
>> Something must be wrong here. Am I using the wrong links?
>
> thanks for your screenshots.
>
> I think it's the "pt-pt" problem as you can see in the browser URL in
> the "hard" screenshot. And the text is missing in the "soft" screenshot.
>
> I added JS logic to fix this. Please test here:
>
> http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/

This
<http://people.apache.org/%7Epmralbuquerque/Images/Captura%20de%20ecr%c3%a3%20de%202014-07-26%2014:12:51.png>
is the test result. It seems like the option 'None'. Something else I
can do to help?

Regards,
Pedro.

Re: Website: Detecting Visitor's Locale

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 07/26/2014 02:28 PM, schrieb Pedro Albuquerque:

>> By default the mode and text from the file "msg_prop_l10n.js" will be
>> used. To be able to override this you can use all 3 ways:
>>
>> http://www.openoffice.org/?redirect=none
>> http://www.openoffice.org/?redirect=soft
>> http://www.openoffice.org/?redirect=hard
>>
> Hi Marcus,
>
> I'm not sure about this. Using the above links I get hard redirect
> <http://people.apache.org/%7Epmralbuquerque/Images/Redirect-hard.png>//like
> this/./ And soft redirect
> <http://people.apache.org/%7Epmralbuquerque/Images/Redirect-soft.png>
> like this.
> If I use http://www.openoffice.org, which leads to the English page,
> nothing happens.
> Something must be wrong here. Am I using the wrong links?

thanks for your screenshots.

I think it's the "pt-pt" problem as you can see in the browser URL in
the "hard" screenshot. And the text is missing in the "soft" screenshot.

I added JS logic to fix this. Please test here:

http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/

> P.S.: In my previous message, I didn't meant that an image should be
> magnified on hovering. There is a small magnifying glass on hovering
> that we only use if we want to. The video quality is very low. Sorry.:-[

that means the user has to click to get a larger picture? That's of
course also OK.

Marcus

Re: Website: Detecting Visitor's Locale

Posted by Pedro Albuquerque <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 07/25/2014 05:00 PM, schrieb Marcus (OOo):
> Am 07/25/2014 12:41 PM, schrieb Aivaras Stepukonis:
>>> is the ISO code and text correct shown in the dialog box?
>>
>> FF/IE/GC > "...redirect=hard" > correct...
>> FF/IE/GC > "...redirect=soft" > dialog box no. 1 under "Mode" says
>> "hard" > correct...
>> FF/IE/GC > "...redirect=none" > dialog box no. 1 under "Mode" says
>> "hard" > correct...
>>
>>> Seems the language setting in the browser is not like in Firefox or
>>> IE. Can you please check this?
>>
>> That was it! Although those were the default settings of Crome (for a
>> machine with the LT locale specified on it). Once changed to LT, the
>> results were the same as in FF and IE.
>
> that's good as I have no other idea about the root cause. :-)
>
> Then I'll bring this redirect thing live at the weekend.

done.

By default the mode and text from the file "msg_prop_l10n.js" will be
used. To be able to override this you can use all 3 ways:

http://www.openoffice.org/?redirect=none
http://www.openoffice.org/?redirect=soft
http://www.openoffice.org/?redirect=hard

Have fun. :-)

Marcus

Re: Website: Detecting Visitor's Locale

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 07/25/2014 12:41 PM, schrieb Aivaras Stepukonis:
>> is the ISO code and text correct shown in the dialog box?
>
> FF/IE/GC > "...redirect=hard" > correct...
> FF/IE/GC > "...redirect=soft" > dialog box no. 1 under "Mode" says
> "hard" > correct...
> FF/IE/GC > "...redirect=none" > dialog box no. 1 under "Mode" says
> "hard" > correct...
>
>> Seems the language setting in the browser is not like in Firefox or
>> IE. Can you please check this?
>
> That was it! Although those were the default settings of Crome (for a
> machine with the LT locale specified on it). Once changed to LT, the
> results were the same as in FF and IE.

that's good as I have no other idea about the root cause. :-)

Then I'll bring this redirect thing live at the weekend.

> By the way, in IE, the scrollbars for "Recent Blog Posts" and "Recent
> News" on the home page of the global website are misaligned horizontally.

I hope that we can rebuild this site in the near future. The scroll bars
are just one design problem.

Marcus

Re: Website: Detecting Visitor's Locale

Posted by Aivaras Stepukonis <as...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 07/24/2014 06:01 PM, schrieb Aivaras Stepukonis:
> Here's the outcome of my tests:
>
> Firefox > "...redirect=hard" > dialog box no. 1 (ISO code) > OK > dialog
> box no. 2 (URL) > OK > dialog box no. 3 (redirect mode) > OK >
> redirected to "http://www.openoffice.org/lt/"
>
> Firefox > "...redirect=soft" > dialog box no. 1 (ISO code) > OK > dialog
> box no. 2 (URL) > OK > dialog box no. 3 (redirect mode) > OK >
> "http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/index_url.html?redirect=soft" with
> the Lithuanian notice about the LT version of the website in the yellow box
>
> Firefox > "...redirect=none" > dialog box no. 1 (ISO code) > OK > dialog
> box no. 2 (URL) > OK > dialog box no. 3 (redirect mode) > OK >
> "http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/index_url.html?redirect=none"
>
> Internet Explorer responded in the same way as Firefox.
>
> Crome > "...redirect=hard" > dialog box no. 1 (ISO code) > OK > dialog
> box no. 2 (URL) > OK > dialog box no. 3 (redirect mode) > OK >
> "http://www.openoffice.org/en-US" (Error 404!)

is the ISO code and text correct shown in the dialog box?

> Crome > "...redirect=soft" > dialog box no. 1 (ISO code) > OK > dialog
> box no. 2 (URL) > OK > dialog box no. 3 (redirect mode) > OK >
> "http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/index_url.html?redirect=soft" with
> the English notice about the English (en-US) version of the website in
> the yellow box

Seems the language setting in the browser is not like in Firefox or IE.
Can you please check this?

> Crome > "...redirect=none" > dialog box no. 1 (ISO code) > OK > dialog
> box no. 2 (URL) > OK > dialog box no. 3 (redirect mode) > OK >
> "http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/index_url.html?redirect=none"

@work:
I've tested this with Windows 7 + FF + IE + Chrome + Opera.

All browsers have shown correct data and done what is stated in the last
dialog box.

Right now, I've changed the redirect mode für German to "hard" and in FF
it is shown and done what was stated.

Marcus

Posted by Aivaras Stepukonis <as...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Aivaras Stepukonis <as...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Marcus.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Aivaras Stepukonis <as...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 07/20/2014 10:10 PM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
> Aivaras Stepukonis wrote:
>> OK, with the current redirect feature I can no longer visit the global
>> website, although I can visit all the local subsites. Hm, I would like

as far as I've understood you, this was the wish.

>> to retain the ability to visit the global website. Does that mean we
>> need an "en" or "en-US" subsite?
>
> Yes, this is exactly what I was warning against for this whole thread...

Me too. ;-)

> Well, the "en" subsite would break so many links that it is unfeasible
> in practice.

Yes, totally out of scope.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Aivaras Stepukonis <as...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Aivaras Stepukonis <as...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Marcus!

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 07/13/2014 12:56 AM, schrieb Marcus (OOo):
> Am 07/13/2014 12:27 AM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
>> Marcus (OOo) wrote:
>>> if you want to go to a different NL website then just use the language
>>> box on top right.
>>
>> The issue is clear, right? If I am in Lithuania and I want to see the
>> English site, with the "forced" redirect (the other option) in place I
>> cannot do so unless we implement further kludges (but I think it's
>> clear).
>
> please see my answer to Aivaras.
>
>>> Please note that this is the global website, so there is no Italian or
>>> other localized version. One for all. ;-)
>>
>> Why? It is just a matter of maintaining an array. This is a case where
>> having the string in the "right" language is quite important, since the
>> users who will benefit most from this are those users from, say,
>> Lithuania, who strongly prefer content in Lithuanian to content in
>> English.
>
> It was just a statement how it's working now. But this is not carved
> into stone. Please bear with me when my thinking is sometimes too often
> led by 1 and 0. ;-)

updated:

http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/index_redirect.html

Now the text is localizable in the "/msg_prop_l10n.js" file.
Additionally it's possible to set the redirect method:

hard = Don't show a message, just redirect.
soft = Show a message and redirect on user's click.
none = Do and show nothing.

For now I've set all languages to "soft", except for Lithuanian ("hard")
and English (US) + (UK) to "none" as a redirect doesn't make sense here.

@Aivaras:
With this the other discussion IMHO has found its end. :-)

> We should assume that the "msg_prop_l10n_XX.js" files will still grow in
> future. Should we still use a single file for more (many) webpages? Or
> should every, e.g., "index.html" file get its own string file? It's also
> a question of performance and how long a webpage is loading.

Marcus

Re: Website: Detecting Visitor's Locale

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 07/13/2014 01:29 AM, schrieb Aivaras Stepukonis:
> I'm completely fine with scenario no. 2.

OK

> Where we seem to diverge is on scenario no. 1: for the vast majority of
> Lithuanian visitors "www.openoffice.org" = "www.openoffice.org/lt".
> Asking them whether they prefer info in Lithuanian instead of English
> will likely be taken as an unnecessary distraction.

IMHO this is the point of our difference.

International websites I've visited in the last 10 minutes:

25 with no hard-redirect *):

Wikipedia, Red Hat, SuSE, Novell, SAP, IBM, Dell, Apple, Oracle, Amazon,
Sony, Renault, Peugeot, Toyota, Mazda, Porsche, Volvo, GM, VW, BMW,
Audi, Seat, DHL, Toshiba, JVC

But 9 with hint:

Amazon, Citroen, Seat, Skoda, UPS, United Nations, Canon, Nikon, Nike

15 with hard-redirects:

Mozilla, Debian, Volkswagen, Ford, Daimler, ING-Diba, HP, Lenovo, Acer,
Samsung, LG, Panasonic, Adidas, Puma, Asics

*) There is no obvious hint to get to a localized website. So, the users
must feel much more distracted than compared with our test webpage.

So, I still think that a hard-redirect is not a widely used solution.

 > So my scenario would run like this:
>
> "www.openoffice.org"
> --> "www.openoffice.org/lt"
> --> (in case the visitor needs something else) dropdown box
> --> click

That would mean for some languages we implement a hard-redirect and for
some we display a message to let the user decide.

Maybe it's time to hear more opinions from others or better to really
ask our users, e.g., via the forums. :-)

Marcus

Posted by Aivaras Stepukonis <as...@gmail.com>.
I'm completely fine with scenario no. 2.

Where we seem to diverge is on scenario no. 1: for the vast majority of
Lithuanian visitors "www.openoffice.org" = "www.openoffice.org/lt".
Asking them whether they prefer info in Lithuanian instead of English
will likely be taken as an unnecessary distraction. So my scenario would

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 07/12/2014 11:33 PM, schrieb Aivaras Stepukonis:
> 2014.07.12 18:57, Marcus (OOo) rašė:
>> if you want to go to a different NL website then just use the language
>> box on top right.
>
> Well, why not the opposite: In the rear event that, say, a Lithuanian
> visitor wants to get the info not in Lithuanian but in some other
> language, say, English, he/she will select it from the language dropdown
> menu?

let me explain what I've understood so far.

As user with Lithuanian as browser language:

1. The assumbtion is that the user wants maybe to his "home" website.
Therefore a single but special message is shown:

"www.openoffice.org"
--> message box *)
--> click
--> "www.openoffice.org/lt"

2. Here we don't know where the user want to go. Therefore we offer a
multi-selection via drop-down-box:

"www.openoffice.org/lt"
--> drop-down-box
--> click
--> any other website

If this is wrong then please exclain in short words.

*) Yes, this could be localized as well.

Marcus

Re: Website: Detecting Visitor's Locale

Posted by Aivaras Stepukonis <as...@gmail.com>.
2014.07.12 18:57, Marcus (OOo) rašė:
> if you want to go to a different NL website then just use the language
> box on top right.

Well, why not the opposite: In the rear event that, say, a Lithuanian
visitor wants to get the info not in Lithuanian but in some other
language, say, English, he/she will select it from the language dropdown
menu?

This is why, in my humble opinion, there is not need for this
intermediary step. The redirecting to a native-lang page should be smooth.

Also, the assumption is made that the visitor will know English (as the
message is in English). That may or may not be true with the probability
of it being false quite high.

So the suggested way is better than no redirecting, but worse than
unencumbered redirecting.

Marcus, I'm saying these things in a constructive mindset with full
appreciation of your great work!

Regards,

Aivaras

Re: Website: Detecting Visitor's Locale

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 07/12/2014 01:49 PM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
> Marcus (OOo) wrote:
>> I've created a little test webpage to make my suggestion more visible
>> (of course graphic, color and text can be discussed).
>> http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/index_redirect.html
>
> Seems a good, non-invasive solution. Indeed automatic redirection has
> the problem that the English site is http://www.openoffice.org/ and not
> http://www.openoffice.org/en , so the homepage is both the "global"
> homepage and the English homepage, which would cause problems if one
> wants to see the English site from an Italian browser (or would need to
> introduce further parameters).

if you want to go to a different NL website then just use the language
box on top right.

> I assume the pop-up is just for diagnostics and that it will get

Yes, will be removed when it's finished.

> removed. As for the text, I think the layout is good and I would make it
> much less invasive, something like http://i.imgur.com/s0FCCP3.png for
> the Italian version: it is an information we give to readers based on

Please note that this is the global website, so there is no Italian or
other localized version. One for all. ;-)

> their browser's settings, so a line like "This site is available in
> Italian (it) too: click here to see the Italian version" is enough.

OK, I've done a little update:

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 07/07/2014 12:39 PM, schrieb Tal Daniel:

> On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>
>     On 30/06/2014 Pedro Albuquerque wrote:
>
>         the Portuguese-Pt subsite http://www.openoffice.org/pt/ is
>         up-to-date
>         and ready for redirecting.
>

>     [...] I don't know if reliable solutions exist, besides some
>     workarounds that can be easily found online searching for how to
>     detect language in JavaScript.
>
>     [...]
>

> To brief/cap/sum the discussion (any preferable term?):
> A. We CAN do auto-redirection from the homepage (only?), using
> Javascript, to on'es browser default locale language (eg. he-IL would
> redirect to the Hebrew site).

Sure, and if the user is browsing with disabled JS then it's simply not
redirecting and he could choose via the drop-down list on top right.

> B. En, de, pt, lt, and he websites are mature, updated regularly, follow
> the look-and-feel of the main website, and their teams declared they
> want to join this auto-redirection feature. If other websites would like
> auto-redirection, and is active, reply to this discussion, and update
> this list by adding your website.

This means to split-up that some languages get a redirecting and some
not? Hm, I don't like this idea of special treatment.

> + I'd like to add that the [Java]script should include a cookie, to save
> one's last language preference, so the default auto-detected browser
> locale wouldn't be used be default on the next visit, or refresh.

Yes, nice comfort feature. But would make the script more complex.

Posted by Tal Daniel <ta...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 Andrea Pescetti wrote:

> On 30/06/2014 Pedro Albuquerque wrote:
>
>> the Portuguese-Pt subsite http://www.openoffice.org/pt/ is up-to-date
>> and ready for redirecting.
>>

> [...] I don't know if reliable solutions exist, besides some workarounds
> that can be easily found online searching for how to detect language in
> JavaScript.
>
> [...]

To brief/cap/sum the discussion (any preferable term?):
A. We CAN do auto-redirection from the homepage (only?), using Javascript,
to on'es browser default locale language (eg. he-IL would redirect to the
Hebrew site).

B. En, de, pt, lt, and he websites are mature, updated regularly, follow
the look-and-feel of the main website, and their teams declared they want
to join this auto-redirection feature. If other websites would like
auto-redirection, and is active, reply to this discussion, and update this
list by adding your website.

+ I'd like to add that the [Java]script should include a cookie, to save
one's last language preference, so the default auto-detected browser locale
wouldn't be used be default on the next visit, or refresh.

Tal

Re: Website: Detecting Visitor's Locale

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Pedro Albuquerque <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
the Portuguese-Pt subsite <https://www.openoffice.org/pt/> is up-to-date
and ready for redirecting.
Thank you.
Regards,
Pedro.

Posted by Aivaras Stepukonis <as...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Aivaras Stepukonis <as...@gmail.com>.
> It would. But before doing that we should probably make sure that the
> localized sites are well maintained. It should be possible to have a
> list of up-to-date subsites and doing the automatic redirect only to
> those (so: if the Latvian version is OK but the Italian version is
> deemed to be mostly outdated, we should have the automatic redirect
> for Latvian, but keep the "manual way" -dropdown- as the only option
> for Italian).

I agree.

> I agree it would. But this raises an interesting question. What would be
> considered a well maintained site?
> Because my maintenance is very 'basic', and that is saying too much.

I think it would be enough for a local subsite to have the general
appearance of the global website.

Regards,

Aivaras

Posted by Pedro Albuquerque <pa...@gmail.com>.
Em 28-06-2014 12:14, Andrea Pescetti escreveu:
> On 27/06/2014 Aivaras Stepukonis wrote:
>> Wouldn't it be great for the website to automatically detect the
>> visitor's locale and open the website in his/her language?
>
> It would. But before doing that we should probably make sure that the
> localized sites are well maintained. It should be possible to have a
> list of up-to-date subsites and doing the automatic redirect only to
> those (so: if the Latvian version is OK but the Italian version is
> deemed to be mostly outdated, we should have the automatic redirect
> for Latvian, but keep the "manual way" -dropdown- as the only option
> for Italian).

Hi,

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.