Posted to users@maven.apache.org by David Hoffer <dh...@gmail.com> on 2014/10/20 23:42:42 UTC

How to create ISO image that supports long file names?

I'm trying to use iso9660-maven-plugin to generate an iso image and I'm
getting string index out of range errors.  My input has long file names,
e.g.
7b0a8ad702ee0be0b971a082023550bd71bd33d3cbb4fa17f1de6af66f1871d4-comps-Server.x86_64.xml.gz
and I suspect this is causing the problem.

How can I resolve this?  I don't technically need/want an 9660 image as I'm
creating DVD images (actually these will be used by vSphere and I think
it's quite tolerant of ISO format).  Is there a way to configure
iso9660-maven-plugin to allow long file names or is there a different
goal/plugin that I should be using that supports this?  Currently I'm
running the 'iso' goal on iso9660-maven-plugin.

Example error:
Execution generate-iso of goal
com.github.stephenc.java-iso-tools:iso9660-maven-plugin:2.0.0:iso failed:
String index out of range: -2

-Dave

Re: How to create ISO image that supports long file names?

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
On 21 October 2014 09:20, David Hoffer <dh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hum, why isn't the Maven user list the right place to ask about how to use
> Maven to create an iso?  I'm not saying I have to use that plugin to do the
> job, just looking for input on how to do this regardless of the plugin.

If you want to ask general questions on how to do something in Maven sure,
then this is the place.

If you want to know why a particular plugin has problems and how to solve
them and its not one the Maven community is responsible for, then you would
get better help from the correct owners of that plugin.
The chances of someone here knowing the correct answer is much lower than
asking at the correct place.

In your particular case, building an ISO image is not strictly part of the
Maven lifecycle, and the amount of people who know how to do that will be
limited. YMMV.

You could try using the Assembly plugin (
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-assembly-plugin/) to layout your ISO,
but you will need another tool besides Maven to create the ISO image.
You can use any other these to invoke external tools and bind them to the
Maven Lifecycle (
http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-lifecycle.html
):
* Maven Ant Run plugin (http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-antrun-plugin/),

* Exec Maven plugin (http://mojo.codehaus.org/exec-maven-plugin/)
* Write your own plugin (http://maven.apache.org/plugin-developers/)

You probably want to create a separate module that creates the ISO image
from previously completed modules, and attach your ISO building to the
package phase.

Re: How to create ISO image that supports long file names?

Posted by David Hoffer <dh...@gmail.com>.
Hum, why isn't the Maven user list the right place to ask about how to use
Maven to create an iso?  I'm not saying I have to use that plugin to do the
job, just looking for input on how to do this regardless of the plugin.

Thanks for the -X tip, I'll try that too.

-Dave

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
If anyone wants to take over the development of that plugin just let me
know. I have no need for it any more and too busy with other things to work
on it

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
https://github.com/stephenc/java-iso-tools is how I write the ISO

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bernd Eckenfels <ec...@zusammenkunft.net>.
Hello,

no I have'nt tried it personally, and I am not sure if the person who
used the binary approach considerd maven plugin. I dont think so
because the maven job was replacing an existing DOS batch file with
the same command :)

Gruss
Bernd

Posted by David Hoffer <dh...@gmail.com>.