Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Kenneth Fogel <kf...@dawsoncollege.qc.ca> on 2022/08/06 15:14:42 UTC

Duke Trophy

Back in January 2020 Mark Stephen brought the NetBeans Duke Trophy to Montreal. The plan was for me to take it to the next conference, such as CodeOne in Oct 2020 and pass it on to another member of the team. As we all too aware, this could not happen.

JavaOne is back and I will be speaking there in person. Made the flight and hotel reservation yesterday. I will bring Duke with me as carry on. The x-ray should be fun. Now all that needs to be decided is who should I pass it on to.

I suggest forming a committee that meets weekly to decide on this weighty topic. 😊

Ken

RE: Duke Trophy

Posted by Kenneth Fogel <kf...@dawsoncollege.qc.ca>.

Ken

Posted by Kenneth Fogel <kf...@dawsoncollege.qc.ca>.
Hi,

https://can01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fblog.idrsolutions.com%2F2018%2F11%2Fduke-joins-the-idrsolutions-java-team%2F&amp;data=05%7C01%7Ckfogel%40dawsoncollege.qc.ca%7Cd2332b013d794416d4cb08da7c68e9d5%7Cb6b66a7afbbb42b8a7c5712342094eef%7C1%7C0%7C637959087284415646%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&amp;sdata=pZp7r0JjJweUzyuAlD9luWmgZb98cokqK%2BEyS5tq7lo%3D&amp;reserved=0

wrote:

> Back in January 2020 Mark Stephen brought the NetBeans Duke Trophy to
> Montreal. The plan was for me to take it to the next conference, such
> as CodeOne in Oct 2020 and pass it on to another member of the team.
> As we all too aware, this could not happen.
>
> JavaOne is back and I will be speaking there in person. Made the
> flight and hotel reservation yesterday. I will bring Duke with me as
> carry on. The x-ray should be fun. Now all that needs to be decided is
> who should I pass it on to.
>
> I suggest forming a committee that meets weekly to decide on this
> weighty topic. 😊
>
> Ken
>
> --
Eric Bresie
ebresie@gmail.com

Re: Duke Trophy

Posted by Bruno Souza <br...@gmail.com>.
Oracle selects and gives the award. They are just following the tradition
that started with James Gosling. He used to pick the projects in the
beginning.

The process now is more formal: there is a nomination period, and the
awards are given out at JavaOne.

About 10-15 projects are awarded every round (usually every year, but there
were none during the pandemic, and looks like it won't happen this year
either). Projects are awarded in about as many categories, but I have the
impression the categories are chosen based on the winning projects...

It is more like a "wow" project selection.

Anyway... Each winner gets a cool duke statue, and it is the project's to
keep.

I assume people in NetBeans just wanted to pass the statue around, so more
people can have it for some time. I have never seen anyone do that, but I
think it's a cool idea. We tried to parade the statue from the late Daniel
de Oliveira among the JUGs in Brazil,, to honor him, but that
never happened (we never got his statue to be able to do that).

Anyway, let's all celebrate the achievement \o/

Cheers,
Bruno.

Re: Duke Trophy

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.