Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Nicolas Maisonneuve <n....@gmail.com> on 2004/12/01 11:42:57 UTC

Re: dotLucene (port of Jakarta Lucene to C#)

hy george
is the C# lucene faster than java lucene  ?  (because it seems to me
that  C# is faster than java, isn't it  ?)

nicolas maisonneuve

Posted by George Aroush <ge...@aroush.net>.
Hi,

I agree with Scott that Lucene is disk bound and I don't expect any drastic
performance different between Java/C# Lucene.

I am currently working on porting 1.4.3 to C# which I expect to have it
completed by next week.  Once I have it done, I will do full performance
comparison.

Speaking of which, does Lucene has a standard performance test code that I
can use as well as data and guidelines?  I am looking for something similar
to JUnit but for performance analyses.

Regards,

-- George Aroush

Posted by Scott Ganyo <sc...@ganyo.com>.
Why does it seem to you that C# is faster than Java?

In any case, generally the bottleneck isn't the VM.  It's the I/O to
the disks...

Scott

progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw