Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Andi Clemens <an...@gmx.net> on 2008/07/23 10:54:50 UTC

Remove folders from version control (without commit)

Hi all,

I checked out my working dir with the "-N" command... but somehow I updated
the folder with svn up in a way that all folders that where excluded before
are now also checked out and under version control.
I want to remove those folders again, but for sure I do not want to delete
them in the repo on the next commit (svn del will not work).
When I remove the folders with 'rm -rf' I get the status '!' when using
the 'svn st' command... and also subclipse (subversion plugin for eclipse)
shows those folders in the synchronize view, which is annoying.
Can I tell svn to really remove those folders from version control WITHOUT
committing these changes? I googled for that but I can't find any solution.
Sure I can just create a new working dir, but I have made a lot of changes and
I don't want to recompile everything again (it is a very large KDE project
that takes me 2 hours on full compile).

Best regards!

Andi

Re: Remove folders from version control (without commit)

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jul 23, 2008, at 05:54, Andi Clemens wrote:

> I checked out my working dir with the "-N" command... but somehow I
> updated
> the folder with svn up in a way that all folders that where
> excluded before
> are now also checked out and under version control.
> I want to remove those folders again, but for sure I do not want to
> delete
> them in the repo on the next commit (svn del will not work).
> When I remove the folders with 'rm -rf' I get the status '!' when
> using
> the 'svn st' command... and also subclipse (subversion plugin for
> eclipse)
> shows those folders in the synchronize view, which is annoying.
> Can I tell svn to really remove those folders from version control
> WITHOUT
> committing these changes? I googled for that but I can't find any
> solution.
> Sure I can just create a new working dir, but I have made a lot of
> changes and
> I don't want to recompile everything again (it is a very large KDE
> project
> that takes me 2 hours on full compile).

There is no way to tell Subversion to un-update a directory in a non-
recursive (-N) checkout after you have told it to update. To get back
to the way you were, you will need to check out a completely new
working copy.

Non-recursive (-N) checkouts are known to be broken in this and other
ways. Subversion 1.5 introduces new ways to do sparse checkouts. I
don't know if that would help in your particular situation but you
can read about it here:

http://subversion.tigris.org/svn_1.5_releasenotes.html#sparse-checkouts