Posted to netcat@netbeans.apache.org by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID> on 2018/11/13 13:19:43 UTC

[DISCUSS] Apache NetBeans roadmap updates

Hi all,

We've completed the NetCAT process (on the functioning of the convenience
binary of Apache NetBeans 10) and the PPMC vote (on the sources of Apache
NetBeans 10).

Right now, the IPMC (the incubator project management committee) is voting
on the sources of Apache NetBeans 10, since Apache NetBeans is in the
Apache Incubator. (We're going to be voting to get out of the Apache
Incubator very soon, with support from our mentors, since they're happy
with how we're working as a community and consider us to be ready to be a
top level Apache project.)

So, what's next? After we release Apache NetBeans 10, we'll start working
on the next release. Consensus on the dev mailing list has formed around
quarterly releases. In the NetCAT process, we found that there was quite
some time pressure to get things done and maybe we should take more time
and thereby be able to provide more quality.

As a result, here's a proposal to do two major releases next year, in line
with JDK 12 and 13 in March and September, with two optional minor releases
in between (e.g., a bug fix release could be great). Of course, Apache
NetBeans does not serve the Java community only, though those two months of
March and September are fairly spaced anyway and potentially could allow us
to provide bundles with those JDKs if and when that were to be possible.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Apache+NetBeans+Release+Roadmap

There are several significant bugs that we need to nail down and resolve,
we can include them in the upcoming releases or distribute them via
plugins. We're I'm sure all very aware of several problems, as well as
features that need to be added -- we need everyone to be proactive in
pinning down bugs and in providing code contributions for missing features.

Comments welcome, and many thanks for all the hard and enthusiastic work
done so far.

Gj

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache NetBeans roadmap updates

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 at 22:17, Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net> wrote:
> Maybe reducing the NetCat process or changing it?

OK, so in the interests of [DISCUSS] :-)  I think Chris is right here.
I wasn't able to take part in NetCAT for NB10, but did for NB9, and
that process probably does need to adapt.  We had a conversation a
while ago about quarterly releases time-based releases, but are we a
little in limbo between what used to happen and what should happen
now?

I'm not sure "quality" is the most useful thing to consider here, in
the sense that anyone who likes Release Early, Release Often is going
to give you loads of "evidence" that that leads to better "quality".
:-)  On the other hand, our capacity is important.  I just wonder
whether we should be looking at other projects that are doing this
successfully and what their processes are?

A couple of things based on things I've seen elsewhere that might be
worth considering if we stick with this release model -

* Fix the feature freeze / branch dates for the next 4 releases now.
Maybe 4 weeks after each release.  Keep master stable, and branch then
- anything not ready for master is not a feature for the next release.

* Do a voted-on, public early-access release of the branch maybe 2
weeks after that?  At the moment the NetCAT binaries are not meant to
be distributed outside dev@ and netcat@, but we could make them
public, encourage early adopters to test and report alongside any
NetCAT process.

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache NetBeans roadmap updates

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Luca Mambretti <lu...@bizeta.net>.
I'm also in favor of 2+2 releases.

For me it would also make sense to have only 2 major releases and deliver the patch release fixes with the current update system, but I see no issue in delivering 2 patch releases also.

My 2 cents.

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache NetBeans roadmap updates

Posted by Luca Mambretti <lu...@bizeta.net>.

Sv: [DISCUSS] Apache NetBeans roadmap updates

Posted by Bo Andersen <bo...@outlook.com>.
How is it with PHP, is it a plugin which can be updated when new versions are released e.g. PHP 7.4, or do we need to wait until the next major release of Netbeans to get support for new versions?
________________________________
Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
I don’t know whether this Topic came up already, let me know and we can Forget About it but what About to adding public layers to that APIs to not Change them as much as possible? I mean there needs some refactoring for sure, but we can leave them as they are and adding public layer for the outside. Yes someone has to do it, Nothing to say more here, but this could be a good compromise of leaving stuff as it is and adding public layers.

Cheers

Chris

Posted by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ondro Mihályi <on...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
Hey,

My 2 cents here again. First I want to know, what you think, how the minor Releases should look like. If they also contains Features, I’m fine with that two.

I will be more fine to have only 2 releases, if we can have more public apis for other languages except Java. This is, IMHO a big Problem that a lot of stuff, can’t be done with 3rd-party Plugins for HTML, PHP, JS, CSS, etc. because of missing public APIs. If we have more public APIs, we can have more Features inside of NetBeans with only 3rd-party Plugins.

Posted by "S. M. Ataur Rahman" <de...@gmail.com>.
I am just gonna put my opinion here in two line.

I support the idea of two major and two optional release a year.

I want to focus on updating my code, not IDE.

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache NetBeans roadmap updates

Posted by "S. M. Ataur Rahman" <de...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 14 Nov 2018, 22:20 Jiří Kovalský <jiri.kovalsky@oracle.com wrote:

> I am glad to see that except two respondents the vast majority likes the
> proposal for only two mandatory major (with NetCAT programs) and two
> optional minor releases per year.

You could equally say that a vast majority of committers on dev@ wanted
fixed quarterly releases the last time this came up. Except that's probably
a similarly inaccurate metric! ;-)

I'm fine if the two major, optional minors is what we go for. But l think
it's probably something that's better decided in a more structured way than
based on a relatively small amount of input on a discussion thread.

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache NetBeans roadmap updates

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jiří Kovalský <ji...@oracle.com>.
I am glad to see that except two respondents the vast majority likes the
proposal for only two mandatory major (with NetCAT programs) and two
optional minor releases per year.

The main argument against this release scheme, if I followed the
discussion correctly, is that frequent (quarterly or even monthly)
releases increase quality, because every incomplete feature could be
stabilized as needed and only wait for couple of more weeks to shine in
the next release.

In my opinion:

1. It's exactly the NetBeans old-school and slow release model which
helped get so much credit for the great out-of-the-box experience. I
would rather prefer to keep this differentiator in the future.

2. I myself don't share this modern hysteria for wanting everything and
instantly. Ubuntu has been releasing only in Aprils and Octobers for
years now, it survived this "small" cadence and there are Linux
distributions even building on top of Ubuntu. I know many conservative
developers who actually think otherwise - instead of grabbing every new
NetBeans version they stick to some dated version which serves their
needs and happily use that.

3. Finally I believe that quality is also a feature and it simply takes
time to build a quality product. If things are rushed, the quality is
compromised and the final product gets worse over time.

Just like when people write long e-mails quickly not caring enough about
quality of their own writing, the resulting message is then often hard
to read and contains a lot of typos. Not always though ... :)

-Jirka

Posted by Jiří Kovalský <ji...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Jiří Kovalský <ji...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

http://netbeans-vm.apache.org/synergy/client/app/#/run/29/v/2

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/59deb812e0f9632291d0e4dfacc364fdaf6055348a35cae42f56f760@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
Well, it is not that simple.

Posted by Alexander Romanenko <al...@alex-tech-adventures.com>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Claus Lüthje <cl...@thetop.ch>.
I‘d agree wit Bayless. Two releases per year are better and a more realistic goal.
Quality wins in the end and getting all those plugins over from 8.2 ASAP would certainly enrich this platform.

Regards,
Claus

Posted by Bayless <bk...@cox.net>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Josh Juneau <ju...@gmail.com>.
Indeed, you are correct Geertjan.  I think we are on the same page.  Thanks
for the proposal...looks great.

On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 8:47 AM Geertjan Wielenga

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Josh Juneau <ju...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Josh Juneau <ju...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Josh Juneau <ju...@gmail.com>.