Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Filip Hanik <Fi...@evant.com> on 2003/03/19 18:53:10 UTC

Tomcat - JBoss integration and clustering of course :)

Remy and all others,
who is currently working on the Tomcat/JBoss integration. I've been getting some inquiries about running the Tomcat session replication instead of JBoss session replication on the Tomcat/JBoss platform.

I looked into the jboss-3.0.6-tomcat-4.1.18 bundle and the code for JBoss is incorrect. They have set up an invalid way of parsing for their tomcat-service.xml ruleset, which disallows you to override the manager to use.

So for Tomcat 5, I'd like to learn more on how this is changed so that all the features in clustering are still usuable in an embedded environment.

Filip

Re: Tomcat - JBoss integration and clustering of course :)

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.
Filip Hanik wrote:

> So for Tomcat 5, I'd like to learn more on how this is changed so that all
> the features in clustering are still usuable in an embedded environment.

For tomcat5 the "recomended" way to embed will be JMX.

The embedding app ( jboss for example ) will need to create at least the
MBean for an Engine, and create and configure mbeans for contexts and all
components they want to fine tune.

Tomcat will create all the other components that it needs - using reasonable
defaults.

To set a different manager for a context - you should create an mbean named:
  DOMAIN:type=Manager,host=localhost,path=/
with "code" beeing your favorite manager.

( that's the current naming - it may change if anyone cares to start sending
feedback:-)

Each component must support 2 use cases:
- when it is loaded via JMX - it should use preRegister to record its name
and init() to locate the parent and register itself. In this case the
parent will be the context
  DOMAIN:j2eeType=WebModule,name=//localhost/,...
( for Contexts and servlets you'll need to search - I'm still trying to
figure how to do it easily, probably some helper methods in ContainerBase )
And you will set the JMX attribute "manager".
This will be implemented in the base manager - so you don't need to worry
about it in the custom impl.

- when it is loaded via API ( new FooManager(), context.setManager( foo ) ),
it must register itself in the JMX console during init(). That's done by
first checking if oname is not set and creating an object name.

Costin