Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Tr...@fms.treas.gov on 2006/11/21 23:42:31 UTC

Daylight Saving Time

Hello.
I was wondering if Subversion will need to be patched due to the
forthcoming DST change as mandated by Congress?

We have a large application that needs to be patched and will be rolled out
to clients soon and we have some dev boxes with various apps on them as
well with Subversion being one of them.
As part of this roll-out we are verifying that any of the OS's (Linux,
Unix, etc) or apps (Bugzilla, Subversion, etc) will be patched or needs to
be patched due to the DST change.

Could some one respond to this email and verify yes/no to Subversion
needing a patch?

Thank you in advance.

    - Troy

Re: Daylight Saving Time

Posted by Oliver Betz <li...@gmx.net>.
Erik Huelsmann wrote:

[stat() is broken in Microsoft C]

> Ok. Well, Subversion doesn't use stat() calls: it uses function calls
> to APR functions which get the desired information. APR uses (AFAICT)
> Win32 API functions to retrieve the requested info. So, given your
> above statement, it should work, but the question that remains: are
> there API functions which are broken in the same respect, or do all
> APIs work correctly?

Sorry, I don't know. I only learned about the stat() error because
it's also in Activestate Perl and I had trouble with it.

Oliver
--
Oliver Betz, Muenchen

Re: Daylight Saving Time

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
On 11/22/06, Oliver Betz <li...@gmx.net> wrote:
> Erik Huelsmann wrote:
>
> [...]
> > >
> > > which is broken (real stupid thing happened...), see
> > >
> > > http://search.cpan.org/~shay/Win32-UTCFileTime-1.45/lib/Win32/UTCFileTime.pm#BACKGROUND_REFERENCE
> > > or http://www.codeproject.com/datetime/dstbugs.asp
>
> sorry, these links didn't describe the real problem very clearly.
>
> And Jonathan Gilligan followed partly the same "non UTC centric"
> thinking causing all this trouble. IMO ist's the correct behaviour
> that DIR (or ls or whatever) shows a different time between DST and
> non-DST periods.
>
> > After reading the latter link, which says that Windows is broken for
> > timestamps on files, I understand the problem is confined to FAT
> > drives.
>
> The problem with FAT files is that they don't know (can't know) the
> timezone the refer to, so you never can know their UTC time. One
> should avoid FAT where file creation or modification times are
> important. I don't want even to think about the best handling of FAT
> file times.
>
> > But Subversion as things stand, is already broken on FAT
> > drives, but works fine on NTFS. This all means that Subversion won't
> > suffer any of the problems described. Am I right?
>
> Maybe no: the problem is that stat() is broken in Microsoft C when
> you want to get the UTC mtime of a file. IIRC, you get the wrong time
> if the file is in DST and the system time is not or vice versa.
>
> I don't know whether subversion for Win32 uses stat() and whether
> it's compiled with the broken MS C.
>
> Win32 API calls should work.

Ok. Well, Subversion doesn't use stat() calls: it uses function calls
to APR functions which get the desired information. APR uses (AFAICT)
Win32 API functions to retrieve the requested info. So, given your
above statement, it should work, but the question that remains: are
there API functions which are broken in the same respect, or do all
APIs work correctly?

bye,

Erik.

Re: Daylight Saving Time

Posted by Oliver Betz <li...@gmx.net>.

[...]

Re: Daylight Saving Time

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
On 11/22/06, Oliver Betz <li...@gmx.net> wrote:
> Erik Huelsmann wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > Subversion itself does not have any DST/UTC calculations. For those
> > calculations, it depends on the C runtime library available on your
> > platform. In case of Linux, that would normally mean glibc. In case of
>
> which is broken (real stupid thing happened...), see
>
> http://search.cpan.org/~shay/Win32-UTCFileTime-1.45/lib/Win32/UTCFileTime.pm#BACKGROUND_REFERENCE
> or http://www.codeproject.com/datetime/dstbugs.asp

After reading the latter link, which says that Windows is broken for
timestamps on files, I understand the problem is confined to FAT
drives. But Subversion as things stand, is already broken on FAT
drives, but works fine on NTFS. This all means that Subversion won't
suffer any of the problems described. Am I right?

> A good compiler should circumvent it. BTW: Activestate Perl suffers
> from the bug, Cygwin Perl not. I didn't investigate whether
> subversion does.

It looks like APR depends on the compiler to prevent the problem. It
has a system-time-to-apr-time conversion routine, but that routine
does not compensate for any time-offsets related to
filesystem-differences.

bye,

Erik.

Re: Daylight Saving Time

Posted by Oliver Betz <li...@gmx.net>.

[...]

Re: Daylight Saving Time

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
On 11/22/06, Troy.Travis@fms.treas.gov <Tr...@fms.treas.gov> wrote:

> Hello.
> I was wondering if Subversion will need to be patched due to the
> forthcoming DST change as mandated by Congress?
>
> We have a large application that needs to be patched and will be rolled out
> to clients soon and we have some dev boxes with various apps on them as
> well with Subversion being one of them.
> As part of this roll-out we are verifying that any of the OS's (Linux,
> Unix, etc) or apps (Bugzilla, Subversion, etc) will be patched or needs to
> be patched due to the DST change.
>
> Could some one respond to this email and verify yes/no to Subversion
> needing a patch?

Subversion itself does not have any DST/UTC calculations. For those
calculations, it depends on the C runtime library available on your
platform. In case of Linux, that would normally mean glibc. In case of
Win32, it would probably mean having the right version of
msvcrt??.dll.

HTH,

Erik.