Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rahul R <ra...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/24 07:28:35 UTC

server.xml for ldap connection

Hi All,

This is the snippet from my server.xml of my tomcat which takes care of
ldap connection.

<Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JNDIRealm"
                debug="99"
                authentication="simple"
                referrals="follow"
                userSubtree="true"
                roleSubtree="true"
                *connectionName="GLOBAL\UserName"*
                *connectionPassword="Secret"*
                connectionURL="ldap://global.ad.myCompany.com:389"
                userBase="dc=Global,dc=ad,dc=myCompany,dc=com"
                userSearch="(sAMAccountName={0})"

roleBase="OU=Groups,OU=PROD,DC=Global,DC=ad,DC=myCompany,DC=com"
                roleName="cn"
                roleSearch="(&amp;(objectClass=group)(member={0}))"
         />

But I have different environments like development, qa, staging etc. Hence
the functional a/c which connects to the ldap changes accordingly. Is there
any way to use some variable which reads the username/password from a file?
So that who ever owns that environment can simply change the
username/password in that file. There is already a property file in the
conf folder of the tomcat which is used for taking some environment
specific values by a jsp file, which is under webapps folder. Can I make
use of that for having these values? It would be a great help if some one
can help me here.

Regards,
Rahul R

Re: server.xml for ldap connection

Posted by Mark Eggers <it...@yahoo.com>.
> This is the snippet from my server.xml of my tomcat which takes care of
> ldap connection.
>
> <Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JNDIRealm"
>                 debug="99"
>                 authentication="simple"
>                 referrals="follow"
>                 userSubtree="true"
>                 roleSubtree="true"
>                 *connectionName="GLOBAL\UserName"*
>                 *connectionPassword="Secret"*
>                 connectionURL="ldap://global.ad.myCompany.com:389"
>                 userBase="dc=Global,dc=ad,dc=myCompany,dc=com"
>                 userSearch="(sAMAccountName={0})"
>
> roleBase="OU=Groups,OU=PROD,DC=Global,DC=ad,DC=myCompany,DC=com"
>                 roleName="cn"
>                 roleSearch="(&(objectClass=group)(member={0}))"
>          />
>
> But I have different environments like development, qa, staging etc. Hence
> the functional a/c which connects to the ldap changes accordingly. Is there
> any way to use some variable which reads the username/password from a file?
> So that who ever owns that environment can simply change the
> username/password in that file. There is already a property file in the
> conf folder of the tomcat which is used for taking some environment
> specific values by a jsp file, which is under webapps folder. Can I make
> use of that for having these values? It would be a great help if some one
> can help me here.

Unless you have multiple web applications using the same Realm, it's more convenient if you place your Realm under the <Context> element.

You can put your <Context> element in either META-INF/context.xml (which will get copied on deployment) or directly in CATALINA_BASE/conf/[hostname]/[app-name].xml. [hostname] is usually localhost, and [app-name] is the name of your application.

You can then have build targets (for example, if you're using ant) to create a development, qa, and staging war file by inserting the right elements (xmltask works well) into the context.xml file.

. . . . just my two cents.
/mde/