Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by John Peacock <jo...@havurah-software.org> on 2008/02/11 02:24:41 UTC

XML/DTD as Text

I just thought I'd report to the list(s) that I don't have an easy fix for
treating application/*** as text by either setting a new property (is_text
seemed to have some weight), or by simply extending svn:eol-style to overload
the textual nature of a given file.

It might be possible to, as an interim step towards customized diff mappings, to
simply say that any file with svn:eol-style set was by default a text document,
and hence to support normal diff/merge/blame operations.  However, it is not a
simple change, since there are a number of places in the codebase where
is_binary is called, which *only* references the cached svn:mime-type property,
and where the svn:eol-style might not be as readily available.

Besides, there seems to be a strong sentiment to move to an RC for 1.5 in the
very near future, so it appears that this is the wrong time to go for large
scale changes.

Sorry I couldn't be more positive, or to produce a magically simple change that
would make this all work easily.  I will however note that until such time as
Subversion does support a flag, you can use --force with both diff and blame
(though not with merge) and override the binary-ness of the file, so it isn't
completely hopeless now.

John

Re: XML/DTD as Text

Posted by David Glasser <gl...@davidglasser.net>.
On Feb 10, 2008 6:24 PM, John Peacock <jo...@havurah-software.org> wrote:
> Besides, there seems to be a strong sentiment to move to an RC for 1.5 in the
> very near future, so it appears that this is the wrong time to go for large
> scale changes.

The 1.5 branch has been created.  This means it's a perfectly
reasonable time to make large-scale changes on trunk, with the
expectation that they will not be in 1.5.  Of course, many commiters
may be distracted by 1.5 work; but there should be no worries about
destabilizing the release with new code on trunk.

--dave

--
David Glasser | glasser@davidglasser.net | http://www.davidglasser.net/

Re: XML/DTD as Text