Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by hala <ro...@yahoo.com> on 2011/02/13 13:47:11 UTC

nutch crawling arabic pdf site

when i crawl a site with pdf link contain arabic words it dont return me the
arabic word in pdf when i search with nutch on it
what can i do please help me

Re: nutch crawling arabic pdf site

Posted by Markus Jelsma <ma...@openindex.io>.
Hi,

1. is the PDF actually fetched, parsed and indexed? Doesn't your regex-
urlfilter skip PDF?
2. Is the PDF too large, is it being truncated by Nutch?
3. Does Tika actually parse the PDF as you expect?

There may be issues at separate locations. You can use the parser checker to
confirm Tika's working.

bin/nutch org.apache.nutch.parse.ParserChecker -dumpText
http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.pdf

Cheers,

--
Markus Jelsma - CTO - Openindex
http://www.linkedin.com/in/markus17

Re: nutch crawling arabic pdf site

Posted by Markus Jelsma <ma...@openindex.io>.
Hi,

What configuration are you using? Did you actually succeed a complete crawl
(generate, fetch, update, index) cycle? Are you using Nutch' internal search
or are you using Solr as search backend? Can your servlet container handle non
latin input for GET requests?

Using Nutch and Solr i can query for almost any kind of language and character
set. I haven't used Nutch' own search but since Solr and Nutch share quite
some components i'm sure that should work as well.

Please provide more details and there is no need to start a second thread on
the same subject ;)

Cheers,

Posted by Markus Jelsma <ma...@openindex.io>.
The problem isn't fixed in the 0.9 relase of Tika so you're still stuck here
and there is no other parse-pdf plugin which you can use. There is, however,
the parse-ext plugin [1] which you perhaps could use to execute pdf2text and
return the parsed content. I haven't used this plugin and i don't know how to
configure it. If you successfully manage to get it up and running then please
post your findings on the list.

As a last resort you might have to write a custom plugin [2]. But i image it'd
do the same job as the parse-ext plugin with pdf2text.

[1]: http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/nutch/branches/branch-1.3/src/plugin/parse-
ext/src/java/org/apache/nutch/parse/ext/ExtParser.java?view=markup
[2]: http://wiki.apache.org/nutch/WritingPluginExample

Posted by hala <ro...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Markus Jelsma <ma...@openindex.io>.
I dug a bit deeper and i now believe you're the victim of TIKA-469
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TIKA-469