Posted to dev@ctakes.apache.org by "Chen, Pei" <Pe...@childrens.harvard.edu> on 2013/02/06 23:39:31 UTC

RE: cTAKES 3.0 developer guide review

Hi Troy,
Thanks for putting the developers guide together.
Just an FYI, the UMLS resources, Full LVG, Models are available as a single download now.  (i.e. users won't need to do anything special to download the full LVG, etc.)

The downloads page have been updated with a link to SF, but I presume the doc should as well:
http://incubator.apache.org/ctakes/downloads.html

Resources & Models
The trained models and resources are required to run cTAKES. They are available for download from SourceForge: ctakes-resources-3.0.1.zip.
Please download, unzip and add/merge the contents to the existing resources directory.

--Pei

Posted by Andy McMurry <mc...@gmail.com>.
Suggestion:

"Apache cTAKES requires Java level 1.6; it has been tested with Sun Java SDK v6.0, IBM Java 6.0, and OpenJDK 6.0.
Running the Eclipse plugin tooling for UIMA requires you start Eclipse.
The supported platforms are: Windows, Linux, Solaris, AIX and Mac OS X.
Other platforms and Java (1.7 or 1.8) implementations should work, but have not been significantly tested."

My idea is simply to adopt/adopt the UIMA "supported platforms" statement specifically for cTAKES .
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/uima/uimaj/trunk/README

"Apache UIMA requires Java level 1.5; it has been tested with Sun Java SDK v5.0 and v6.0, and IBM Java 6.0.
Running the Eclipse plugin tooling for UIMA requires you start Eclipse using a Java 1.5 or later, as well.
The supported platforms are: Windows, Linux, Solaris, AIX and Mac OS X.
Other platforms and Java (1.5+) implementations should work, but have not been significantly tested.

Many of the scripts in the /bin directory invoke Java. They use the value of the environment variable, JAVA_HOME,
to locate the Java to use; if it is not set, they invoke "java" expecting to find an appropriate Java in your PATH."

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andy McMurry <mc...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Troy, this looks nice!

I suggest changing the Java supported versions from "JDK 1.6+" to the UIMA supported versions (minus JDK 1.5).
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/uima/uimaj/trunk/README

Worth noting that Java 1.6 is facing end of life and Java 1.8 would likely be very experimental.
(Unless of course cTakes is been thoroughly tested on Java 1.7 and 1.8 )

cheers,
--andy

Posted by "Bleeker, Troy C." <Bl...@mayo.edu>.
Pei,

The downloads page already had a section for the cTAKES resources ZIP file location near to the bottom. Could you reconcile those two sections? The bottom one was added when the resources were optional. Now they are not so perhaps it just gets removed.

> Please download, unzip and add/merge the contents to the existing resources directory.
I have tried this and do not see a high-level, existing "resources" directory in a clean RC7 download. The README in the ZIP says the same thing. Could you help me locate this?