Posted to dev@annotator.apache.org by Benjamin Young <bi...@apache.org> on 2022/07/28 12:29:11 UTC

Re: CSS Custom Highlight API

On 2022/05/10 02:03:03 Randall Leeds wrote:
> Last I heard folks at Microsoft were working in it.
>
> I think it'd be interesting to have an API that matches its interface.
>
> More interesting would be to handle some reactive add/remove/update of
> static ranges based on some reactive trigger. The current spec allows the
> ranges to be either live or static. The reasoning given is that live ranges
> are maybe useful because the DOM has live ranges, e.g. in the selection,
> but static ranges are cheaper. When the platform can't know how best to
> update a range, it's better if it doesn't try.
>
> I'm imagining that we should try to write some kind of observer that runs a
> selector and emits new highlights, and that we should try to see how one
> would hook that up to update the highlights for the static ranges that
> changed.
>
> On Mon, May 9, 2022, 09:49 Gerben <ge...@treora.com.invalid> wrote:
>
> > Indeed. You had the idea two years ago (issue 54
> > <https://github.com/apache/incubator-annotator/issues/54>). Any updates
> > on this front? Do you happen to know of any implementations so far?
> >
> > On 09/05/2022 14:04, Benjamin Young wrote:
> > > It would be amazing to understand how we might provide a mapping between
> > Web Annotation and this upcoming API:
> > > https://www.w3.org/TR/css-highlight-api-1/

Highlight events are definitely part of what they're looking at:
https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/7447

And sorry about the repost... I'm not sure the last two years "count"...do they? >_<

Anyhow, thanks for adding it to the Tech Radar page!
https://github.com/apache/incubator-annotator/wiki/Tech-Radar

Not sure if in the future discussion posts here, issues, or posting straight to the Tech Radar would be best. Perhaps we could add the wiki log output to the mailing list. That'd be slick! :)

Definitely this space is worth watching, but at this point...probably just watching.

Thanks, all!
Benjamin