Posted to dev@jspwiki.apache.org by Janne Jalkanen <ja...@ecyrd.com> on 2012/07/10 13:44:27 UTC

New host for jspwiki.org?

Folks,

due to some recent decisions by Finnish courts I no longer dare to host the www.jspwiki.org wiki in Finland and continue as the administrator.  Anybody want to offer server space and take over the admin duties? Needs Tomcat and a few tens of megs of space.

/Janne

Re: New host for jspwiki.org?

Posted by Peter Hormanns <pe...@jalin.de>.
Hi wiki folks,

On 11.07.2012 23:18, Juan Pablo Santos Rodríguez wrote:
> That would be great! I won't mind administering the VM. Anyone else would
> like to take over admin duties too? the more the better :-)

I'm running many jspwiki instances in a shared hosting environment. My
provider is a german registered cooperative ("eingetragene
Genossenschaft"). It's "Hostsharing eG" http://www.hostsharing.net -
Sorry - we've only a german version of our website.

I'm able to sponsor a hosting package including it's own tomcat instance
running jspwiki.org

The benefit: only the tomcat installation needs administration.

Otherwise I'd be able to support the administration of a VM at apache.org

Regards, Peter

--
Peter Hormanns
Informatikbüro Hormanns & Wenz

Re: New host for jspwiki.org?

Posted by Harry Metske <ha...@gmail.com>.
Well yes, assuming it's a unix/linux based host, you can sign me in too.

Regards,
Harry

Re: New host for jspwiki.org?

Posted by Florian Holeczek <fl...@holeczek.de>.
Sure!
However, I don't think the more the better... Good administration requires good synchronization and knowledge of the system as a whole, and that's what's potentially getting harder. But I think this is only a theoretical problem in our project :-)

Regards
 Florian

Re: New host for jspwiki.org?

Posted by Juan Pablo Santos Rodríguez <ju...@gmail.com>.

Re: New host for jspwiki.org?

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
<ja...@ecyrd.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> due to some recent decisions by Finnish courts I no longer dare to host the www.jspwiki.org wiki in Finland and continue as the administrator.  Anybody want to offer server space and take over the admin duties? Needs Tomcat and a few tens of megs of space.

If the JSPWiki PPMC would like to request a VM be set up to host this,
it could be hosted here at the ASF.  In order to make that a reality,
one or more people will need to voluteer to administer the VM.

> /Janne

- Sam Ruby

Re: New host for jspwiki.org?

Posted by Harry Metske <ha...@gmail.com>.
I am curious too.
The only "server space" I could offer is some resource of my laptop running
as a server in the closet here at home, assuming jspwiki.org does not burn
too much bandwidth.
So I hope there are better alternatives.

kind regards,
Harry

Re: New host for jspwiki.org?

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <ja...@ecyrd.com>.
An appeals court decided that administrators are responsible for all the content on their site when it comes to copyrighted content. The usual MPAA/RIAA douchebaggery, but this one is fairly serious: there's no need for a notice-takedown procedure, you can just go ahead and confiscate all the servers and sue the admins for damage - and in this particular case, since the admins didn't even know about how much copyrighted content was moving through their system (and they even couldn't have), the damages were calculated according to RIAA mathematics. As this is a decision which was upheld from a lower court, it is likely to become a legal precedent for similar cases, which opens doors for further douchebaggery.

It's too much of a legal risk to host anything with user-generated content in Finland right now, especially since I don't have the time to be constantly monitoring jspwiki.org for all the content that gets uploaded there. (There's no knowledge yet how this will impact the local startup scene, but I'm pretty sure the impact won't be beneficiary.)

jspwiki.org gets about 5000 visitors/day. So it's not particularly high traffic. It's running on a five-year-old 8-core Xeon with 4 gigs of memory (yes, it's a bit overspecced when it comes to CPU but I got it second hand). However, there are four other wikis on the same machine (doc.jspwiki.org/2.2, doc.jspwiki.org/2.4, blog.jspwiki.org and sandbox.jspwiki.org). A simple VM with about a gig of memory should be quite sufficient.

Also, I could transfer jspwiki.org to ASF while we're at it, as long as someone just tells me what to do :-)

/Janne

Re: New host for jspwiki.org?