Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mike Westfall <mw...@primaryknowledge.com> on 2000/07/18 21:37:39 UTC

Startup Problem

Having a mysterious Tomcat startup problem.... I've tried re-installing
serveral times but the problem remains. Any help or suggestions would be
greatly appreciated!

[root@devweb bin]# ./startup.sh

Using classpath:
.:/usr/local/tomcat/lib/ant.jar:/usr/local/tomcat/lib/jasper.jar:/usr/local/tomcat/lib/servlet.jar:/usr/local/tomcat/lib/test:/usr/local/tomcat/lib/webserver.jar:/usr/local/tomcat/lib/xml.jar:/usr/java/jdk1.3/lib/tools.jar

[root@devweb bin]# Exception in thread "main"
java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError:
java.util.MissingResourceException: Can't find bundle for base name
org.apache.tomcat.startup.LocalStrings, locale en_US
        at
java.util.ResourceBundle.throwMissingResourceException(ResourceBundle.java:707)

        at
java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundleImpl(ResourceBundle.java:679)
        at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundle(ResourceBundle.java:546)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.StringManager.<init>(StringManager.java:115)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.StringManager.getManager(StringManager.java:260)
        at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.<clinit>(Tomcat.java:26)

Thanks,
Mike Westfall

RE: Startup Problem

Posted by Chay Weei Jye <wj...@mailandnews.com>.
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the assistance to my problems. I've managed to get the latest
tomcat 4.0 m2 running. Funny tho, m1 couldnt serve jsp/servlets/html. With
m2, everything seems to be ok.

Thanks anyway.

RE: Startup Problem

Posted by Chay Weei Jye <wj...@mailandnews.com>.

I've been using jdk1.3 for months now, before tomcat was installed. Tomcat
3.1 used to run perfectly until this error crops up.

btw, I'm running nt4 workstation. JAVA_HOME and TOMCAT_HOME is already set.

Thanks.

servletapi

Posted by Mike Tinnes <ti...@ecliptictech.com>.
Is it recommended to use the most recent servlet API distribution, or is it
safer to use the servlet.jar packaged with the Tomcat distribution? The
reason I ask is because I'm running into some random behavior with an
application that ran fine on the development machine using Forte, but
behaves less than coherently on the Tomcat machine. There is alot of
<jsp:forward> usage in the code (which I believe is buggy in 3.2b6?) and may
be a part of my problem.

Thanks, Mike

RE: Startup Problem

Posted by Chay Weei Jye <wj...@mailandnews.com>.
Hi,

Just thought you might want to know, I managed to solve the problem.

Must use the 3.2 beta 6. my d:\jdk1.3\jre\lib\ext directory has to be empty,
especially the j2ee.jar file must not be there.

Still doesnt work with earlier tomcat versions tho. I wonder what was the
problem.....?

Thanks.

Re: Startup Problem

Posted by Holger Klawitter <ho...@klawitter.de>.

RE: Startup Problem

Posted by Chay Weei Jye <wj...@mailandnews.com>.
Hi guys,

I've just noticed your problems posted a while ago. I'm having the same
problem. Have any of you solved it? Please let me know if you've found the
solution.

I've screened through more than 10k emails on this list, but seems like this
problem has not been solved. Anyone out there has a solution?

Thanks.