Posted to dev@deltaspike.apache.org by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com> on 2012/06/24 22:56:17 UTC

cdi-query

Hi,

just browsed http://ctpconsulting.github.com/query/1.0.0.Alpha4/index.html and
it is really amazing (a spring-data CDI oriented).

it is currently based on solder but since DS integrates a lot of this stuff
i wonder if it could be integrated in DS in a really portable way?

- Romain

Re: cdi-query

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
that's an open question (maybe another thread) but in EE you often don't
want SE part even if it works, in SE you don't want EE parts. So maybe 3
modules and shades to make it user friendly.

but well, once again that's another topic, packaging is more a detail IMO
since there is nothing technically blocking on this topic.

- Romain

Re: cdi-query

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.

Re: cdi-query

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
hmm,

Re: cdi-query

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
it seems pretty close (including frmaework class names)

- Romain

Re: cdi-query

Posted by Jason Porter <li...@gmail.com>.
IMO, the Seam2 Application Framework (Home, Query, etc. classes) was just a
bad idea. I know a lot of people used them and Gavin thought they were
great, but in reality for a larger application it becomes a nightmare. I'd
much rather focus on things CDI Query and let people create their own
service layer. I did something similar in the Open18 EE6 migration (
http://www.jboss.org/jdf/migrations/seam2/open18_migration/) it seemed to
work decently though it's certainly not production ready code :) I had
originally used CDI Query and that worked quite well.

--
Jason Porter
http://lightguard-jp.blogspot.com

Software Engineer
Open Source Advocate

PGP key id: 926CCFF5

Re: cdi-query

Posted by Bernard Łabno <s4...@pjwstk.edu.pl>.
Did you consider

Re: cdi-query

Posted by Pete Muir <pm...@redhat.com>.
On 27 Jun 2012, at 05:43, Thomas Hug wrote:

> @Mark, +1 on not being excessive on the amount of modules. As a user I don't think I'd like maintaining another x dependencies, those POMs are usually big enough :-) Anyway, depending on the amount of features integrating for such a query API, that might well fall into the "decent size" category.

Agreed, I think the main thing to do is be flexible here. If a module starts to look unwieldy we can split it in two.

Re: cdi-query

Posted by Pete Muir <pm...@redhat.com>.
There are hundreds of opinions on this, ranging from really fine grained, to just a single jar.

We have to compromise and be flexible. There is no one rule here.

Re: cdi-query

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>.
@ pete:

see e.g. the (shaded) all-in-one bundles (for jsf 1.2, 2.x,...) of myfaces
codi.

regards,
gerhard

AW: cdi-query

Posted by Arne Limburg <ar...@openknowledge.de>.
Spring practices this approach for a long time...

Re: cdi-query

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
maybe packaging it with such modules is more relevent:

-> deltaspike-tx (@Transactional, jta), no link to jpa
-> deltaspike-jpa (potentially resource local management)

wdyt?

- Romain

Re: cdi-query

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Re: cdi-query

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.

Re: cdi-query

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Re: cdi-query

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.

Re: cdi-query

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Re: cdi-query

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
It works, but is a PITA to maintain!
There are of course small issues with JavaDocs and Sources if it gets more complicated ...
Shading is only the ultimo ratio and shall only be used to slice modules because they would introduce another dependency.

LieGrue,
strub

Re: cdi-query

Posted by Pete Muir <pm...@redhat.com>.

Re: cdi-query

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
Romain, this is really almost impossible to maintain if you split the stuff too much!

A lot of things are depending on each others. I see absolutely no sense to exclude stuff which works perfectly fine in SE and EE just because you would not use it. This are 5 classes so far - just don't use them and they wont hurt you :)

LieGrue,
strub

Re: cdi-query

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.