Posted to user@poi.apache.org by atulk <at...@hotmail.com> on 2011/06/04 02:11:56 UTC

Re: XSSFSheet.addMergedRegion giving excel error

Hi,
We are using POI 3.1 and are trying to upgrade to POI 3.7 to provide XSLX
files. I am facing a similar problem as being described above.

The problem seems to be that if you have a duplicate mergecell definition
(you add the same merge region twice) or if you have a conflicting mergecell
definition then you get this error when opening the file in Excel. Excel
tells us that some data might be lost.

However this does work fine for the older .xls files and Excel does not
complain.

Is this a POI bug or Excel bug? Seems like POI could provide some error if
conflicting merge regions are added or provide a validation routine to see
if a sheet contains conflicting merge regions and drop duplicates if they
are specified that would be great.

Re: XSSFSheet.addMergedRegion giving excel error

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@alfresco.com>.
On Fri, 3 Jun 2011, atulk wrote:
> However this does work fine for the older .xls files and Excel does not
> complain.

I guess this means that the .xlsx format is stricter. OOI, if you open a
.xls file with overlapping regions in excel and save it as a .xlsx, how
does excel itself resolve it?

> Is this a POI bug or Excel bug? Seems like POI could provide some error
> if conflicting merge regions are added or provide a validation routine
> to see if a sheet contains conflicting merge regions and drop duplicates
> if they are specified that would be great.

Sounds like a handy XSSF specific feature, please send in a patch if you
manage to code something up to do it!

Cheers
Nick