Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by "Stoffels, Ralf (FWI-AW2)" <Ra...@BVG.DE> on 2004/01/16 15:35:50 UTC

Inherited dependencies via POM repository

Hi,

it seems that you have to declare all dependencies of a project, including
all indirect dependencies.

E.g.
A depends on AA, AB
AA depends on AAA and AAB
then you have to declare AA, AAA, AAB and AB as dependencies of A.

This is not very handy and maintainable for me.
I would prefer that the POMs of all artifacts would be in the repository,
too, and that maven
would infer all indirect dependencies.

I found in the archive, that Jason van Zyl worked on a solution for this,
but unfortunately I didn't
found the appropriate implementation.

Where do I found this implementation ?

Are there any plans to include this handling of dependencies and POM-files
in the standard
maven distribution ?

Best regards
Ralf Stoffels

Re: Inherited dependencies via POM repository

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
It's in the works, I can tell you that. This is something that surfaces
every week or so on the lists, and I know that they have an idea already
coded...it's just not included in maven yet. My guess is that it will
require some big changes to maven, and so they're holding off until they
get the chance to overhaul part of maven...like after the 1.1 release. I
think it also depends on getting better coverage of the pom files into
the repository to match the jars that are already out there.

But don't quote me on any of that. I'm just a maven hacker, not a
committer or anything... ;)

-john