Posted to marketing@cloudstack.apache.org by ilya musayev <il...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/05 03:45:03 UTC

CloudStack Conferences

Am i right in assuming that we no longer going to have 3 day long
conferences and instead 5 separate cloudstack day events? It does makes
sense as it helps with awareness, but..

Looking at it from my employers side, as well as my personally - its a
bit hard to justify a trip for just one day :( On average, a person
would have to travel a night before and leave a day later to make the
most of it. That is 2 days spent in transit to attend 1 day event.

Lets see how this works out, but i really think we need at least 1 event
that is longer than a day - so we can have a community get together that
many would be able to attend.

Re: CloudStack Conferences

Posted by sebgoa <ru...@gmail.com>.
On Mar 5, 2015, at 10:00 AM, Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> For Denver and Budapest we aligned with the ASF and leveraged the Linux Foundation to do the logistics and help get sponsors. It worked out but it is still a lot of effort to get the program together, help LF reach out to sponsors etc. As a side note, even though these were 3 day events, lots of folks arrive on tutorial day, spend the keynote day and leave at night or in the morning. That's why I pushed for a poster session at the end of Budapest, because typically folks leave before and we end up with semi empty sessions in the last afternoon.
>
> The bottom line is that it is a question of cost, attendance, who takes the lead in planning and what does the event look like. We could organize three day events much cheaply. Something that comes to mind is configuration management camp in Ghent. It drives 400 people, is hosted at the university. There is almost no sponsors/booth, no signage, no video recording, very little lunch etc. But if we want something like Denver or Budapest, we are looking at 6 figures plus the human investment.
>
> CloudStack is a brand owned by this community, so anyone here is free and should feel entitled to organize its own CloudStack Day close to home. Norway, India etc. It could be a 30 people event or it could grow into its own 300/500 people event. The Japanese community for example organizes CloudStack Japan on their own and drives 500 people.
>
> Now all these 1 day events are co-located (before, after or during) the linuxcon events (cloud open, KVM forum, Xen summit, Kernel summit etc). So I am sure you can justify going for 3 days, attend the other LF events and attend the CloudStack day. I do think there is better alignment with LF events than with other ASF projects. Sadly the Apachecon itself is not a large conference, and I don't think we got the cross-pollination we were hoping. LF events are much bigger (Dusseldorf in the fall was 1,500 people).
>
> The risk I do see with 1 day event is that we get fragmented and that we don't see each other that often.
>
> To conclude, it is key that everyone on our lists feels entitled to do things and take the lead. In some sense there is no such thing as us vs. "the organizers". We are all the organizers of these conferences. It is a matter of who has the time and the will to step up and lead these events (1 or 3 days ) and who will attend.
>
> -If you have the time, can you take the lead and organize another 1 day event closer to home ?
> -If you have time, can you take the lead on one of those scheduled events and take on the program planning ?
> -If you have funds, can you sponsor the event ?
> -if you have space, can you donate it for an event ?

 I should have added that we just had CloudStack day Brazil, led by Marco Sinhorelli, he pulled it off on his own.
With a location from University of Sao Paulo I believe (a cloudstack user). They had over 200 people.

-sebastien

RE: CloudStack Conferences

Posted by Karen Vuong <ka...@citrix.com>.
Thanks, Marco! I will put you in touch with Angela and Kevlin from the Linux Foundation and you could make the introductions.

Karen

From: ilya musayev <il...@gmail.com>>
Date: quinta-feira, 5 de março de 2015 20:21
To: "marketing@cloudstack.apache.org<ma...@cloudstack.apache.org>" <ma...@cloudstack.apache.org>>

While Apache Con is great conceptually, however some folks just follow one of many apache projects, in this case - my main focus is cloudstack.

Everything else is secondary and harder to justify.

Also, if it makes sense, increase the attendee fee, for some of us, its not a huge deal to justify $1000. For cash strapped, they can choose to use a promo code, for others who's employers are more lenient, 1k would not be a big deal - if comparing to other conferences.
On 3/5/15 2:53 PM, Chiradeep Vittal wrote:
Some of the CloudStack Days are collocated with other conferences.
E.g.,
ApacheCon NA & CloudStack Days Austin.
ApacheCon EU & CloudStack Days Budapest
http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/cloudstack-austin/attend/cloudstack-days-events
Surely your company uses more than one Apache technology? :)

From: Arjan <er...@gmail.com>>
Date: Thursday, March 5, 2015 at 2:39 PM
To: "marketing@cloudstack.apache.org<ma...@cloudstack.apache.org>" <ma...@cloudstack.apache.org>>

Thanks Seb,

I agree. We wanted to organize ccceu14 again, but the effort on organizing another 3 day event was too big. Next to that for Amsterdam we have put in serious money together with Citrix.

So 3 day events work, but you need time and / or funds.

A one day event is much easier. Single track. Smaller location etc etc.

I am in favor of the hybrid approach though, but most likely the 1 day events will happen more. Maybe it is even an option to do the devops days approach. Every city can organize one as a sort of franchise model.

Arjan

On 5 mrt. 2015, at 10:00, Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>> wrote:
[...]

IaaS Cloud Design & Build<http://shapeblue.com/iaas-cloud-design-and-build/>

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue SA Pty Ltd is a company registered by The Republic of South Africa and is traded under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.

Re: CloudStack Conferences

Posted by Marco Sinhoreli <ma...@shapeblue.com>.
About sponsors, I heard from globo.com they have some plan to sponsor CCC this year. I can put them in touch if you consider a global conference.

Best regards,

Marco Sinhoreli
Consultant Manager

[cid:542D6DC9-341C-4B57-BF2A-2D5CD4F71A4F]

Re: CloudStack Conferences

Posted by ilya musayev <il...@gmail.com>.

Re: CloudStack Conferences

RE: CloudStack Conferences

Posted by Adrian Lewis <ad...@alsiconsulting.co.uk>.
Great!

Posted by ilya musayev <il...@gmail.com>.
On 3/6/15 8:16 AM, Sebastien Goasguen wrote:
> On Mar 6, 2015, at 11:01 AM, Adrian Lewis <ad...@alsiconsulting.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> My opinion (not sure how much it counts but anyway)
>
> It counts as much as anyone else Adrian,
The only opinion that does not count is one that was kept silent!

Re: CloudStack Conferences

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.

Re: CloudStack Conferences

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
+1 for Dublin-only

I would have preferred London or Paris (easy to reach, bigger audiences) to be honest, but I understand there is a context here.

Good points, Adrian.

Lucian

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Posted by Giles Sirett <gi...@shapeblue.com>.
Adrian

RE: CloudStack Conferences

Re: CloudStack Conferences

Posted by Arjan <er...@gmail.com>.

Re: CloudStack Conferences

Posted by ilya musayev <il...@gmail.com>.
Arjan and Sebastian

Re: CloudStack Conferences

Posted by Arjan <er...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Seb,

Re: CloudStack Conferences

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
Morning folks,

Re: CloudStack Conferences

Posted by Erik Weber <te...@gmail.com>.

Re: CloudStack Conferences

Posted by Madan Ganesh Velayudham <ma...@actonmagic.com>.
+1

On 5 March 2015 at 11:25:38 am, Sunando Bhattacharya (sunando@indiqus.com) wrote:

Hi,

I agree with Ilya.

For companies like us located far from the event locations (we are in India), it costs $2.5-3k per person to attend an event. Hence a 1-day event does not make financial sense. We request the organisers to re-look at the format and add/change one of the Cloudstack Days to a 3-day event, like CCCEU14.

—
Best,
Sunando Bhattacharya
+91 97111 52299
www.indiqus.com

On 5 March 2015 at 9:09:41 am, Chip Childers (chip.childers@gmail.com) wrote:

We need a sponsor willing to pay for that then.

-chip

Re: CloudStack Conferences

Posted by Sunando Bhattacharya <su...@indiqus.com>.
Hi,