Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jerome Macaranas <je...@gmanmi.tv> on 2006/09/15 15:06:45 UTC

[users@httpd] Inquiry

Hi,

	i want to deploy a service where in a user will subscribe (lets say user1)
and from our site which is www.test.com he/she will have user1.test.com
without configuring it via DNS w/c will take long or placing ... a quick an
non-fancy solution would be creating a subdirectory on the document root..
like www.test.com/user1/

	would the subdomain issue be accomodated just by configuring things in
apache?

Mailing-List

Re: [users@httpd] Inquiry

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 9/17/06, JM <je...@gmanmi.tv> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>         Based on the docs I still have to do manipulation on the DNS side.  Can it be
> done without manipulation on the DNS side? Can a mod_rewrite ( just
> guessing ) or a combination of something do the trick?

No, that part of it has nothing to do with apache.  The client needs
some way to know what hostnames map to your server.  That must be done
in DNS.  If you are worrying about needing to modify DNS for each
site, you could consider using a wildcard DNS entry to map
*.example.com to the same site.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Inquiry

Posted by JM <je...@gmanmi.tv>.
Hi,

	Based on the docs I still have to do manipulation on the DNS side.  Can it be
done without manipulation on the DNS side? Can a mod_rewrite ( just
guessing ) or a combination of something do the trick?

tia,

Re: [users@httpd] Inquiry

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.