Posted to dev@impala.apache.org by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com> on 2017/01/31 18:28:34 UTC

Upgrade Snappy to 1.1.4?

I seem to recall that Impala uses snappy as the default codec for a lot of
compression/decompression. May be worth upgrading to the latest release
which claims a 20% improvement in decompression performance:

https://github.com/google/snappy/blob/master/NEWS

(just submitted a code review to Kudu to do the same, though we use LZ4
more than snappy)

-Todd
--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera

Re: Upgrade Snappy to 1.1.4?

Posted by Tim Armstrong <ta...@cloudera.com>.
Nice! We should do this. Last time we upgraded it was an easy perf win - we
snappy compress parquet by default and spend significant time decompressing
in scans.

I filed a JIRA: https://issues.cloudera.org/browse/IMPALA-4846

Is anyone interested in picking this up? It would require adding a new
version of snappy to the native-toolchain, then bumping the version in
Impala. Good way to learn about how we handle third-party dependencies.

- Tim