Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Gareth Reakes <ga...@decisionsoft.com> on 2003/09/24 15:30:16 UTC

Issue with expansion of schema hints

Hello all,

	I'm normally a xerces-c guy but I've been doing a fair bit with
java recently and have come across a problem which I am writing a patch
for. The problem goes like this.

Schema A specifies an import of http://foo.com at schemaLocation
subDir/foo.xsd

Instance I sets some hints to say that http://foo.com is in fact at
mySchemas/foo.xsd

When we come to get the import during the parse of Schema a it actually
looks in mySchemas/foo.xsd relative to the schema and cannot find it.

Solution: expand the hints relative to the instance when we put them in
the data structure for the hints. Thats no problem and the patch is
complete. The problem arises when you consider what to do with the
external schema locations set by the user. I can see 4 options, none of
which I particularly like:

1) Do nothing. It just falls over (current behaviour),

2) Expand relative to the directory that its all being run in. I think
this could lead to many question being asked about what is going on,

3) Expand it relative to the instance that is being parsed. This seems
strange to me when you have written an small application the sets external
hints and then loads a grammar to cache. In that case it would be
equivalent to 1). As well as this, relative paths given will mean
different things dependant on the instance being parsed,

4) Expand relative to the top level schema being parsed. This seems
strange in the case where you import multiple grammars. Again, they will
be expanded differently dependant on what is being parsed.

Anyone have any preferences/ point out anything I have missed?

Cheers,

Gareth

--
Gareth Reakes, Head of Product Development  +44-1865-203192
DecisionSoft Limited                        http://www.decisionsoft.com