Posted to user@zookeeper.apache.org by Dave Barr <da...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/30 02:42:49 UTC

rolling upgrade from 3.3->3.4?

We'd like to upgrade our production ZK quorums to 3.4.

Apart from https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-1149, what
issues are there doing a rolling upgrade of ZK nodes from 3.3 to 3.4?
Can a mixed cluster work OK?  I presume to reduce reelections we
should upgrade followers first, then upgrade the leader?  Has anyone
done this?

If this isn't recommended, our only other option is to build a new
quorum and shutdown/switch each service to the new quorum, which is
pretty painful (having done that before).

--Dave

Re: rolling upgrade from 3.3->3.4?

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.
On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 5:42 PM, Dave Barr <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We'd like to upgrade our production ZK quorums to 3.4.
>
> Apart from https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-1149, what
> issues are there doing a rolling upgrade of ZK nodes from 3.3 to 3.4?
> Can a mixed cluster work OK?  I presume to reduce reelections we
> should upgrade followers first, then upgrade the leader?  Has anyone
> done this?

You can do a rolling upgrade, a mixed cluster should be fine. (1149 is
the only issue I know of)

Patrick