Posted to dev@annotator.apache.org by Ray Ma <de...@rayma.me> on 2022/11/13 09:49:39 UTC

Hi!

Hi everyone,

My name is Ray and I'd like to get started with contributing to the
Annotator project, as the idea of the W3C annotator protocol/model and
the Apache implementation intrigues me. I have already submitted a
very small PR, #132, to fix Windows builds.

I saw that there is mention of starting a bare-bones reference
implementation of a Server in #70. Is this still a wanted effort?

Kind Regards,
Ray Ma

Re: Hi!

Posted by Gerben <ge...@treora.com.INVALID>.
On 13/11/2022 10:49, Ray Ma wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> My name is Ray and I'd like to get started with contributing to the
> Annotator project, as the idea of the W3C annotator protocol/model and
> the Apache implementation intrigues me. I have already submitted a
> very small PR, #132, to fix Windows builds.
Hi Ray, welcome and thanks for your contributions! I merged your fix for
Windows and commented on your suggested website fixes.
> I saw that there is mention of starting a bare-bones reference
> implementation of a Server in #70. Is this still a wanted effort?

I had forgotten about that issue, and just added a recent update from my
side there. As I wrote there: Perhaps something of/like this could be
included in Apache Annotator; but it would be quite a separate project
from what we are currently making, and that already is getting too
little love. So, while this situation continues, to me it feels wiser to
keep focus and do one thing well.

There are still plenty of ways that we can improve the tools for
selector creation/anchoring. For example, the API seems overcomplicated
for first-time users. I suppose you have tried it yourself? Please feel
free to share your use case (if any) and experience with the library so far.

— Gerben