Posted to dev@jclouds.apache.org by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com> on 2013/06/25 17:36:56 UTC

Testing releases?

Quick question about "Releasing jclouds" Wiki page [1]: the title
refers to "How to release (and test RCs)" but there doesn't seem to be
an explicit section on testing RCs.

There are a couple of instructions that refer to testing steps (e.g.
in "Starting the Vote", but they're interleaved with release
instructions.

Would a separate section (or separate page?) on testing RCs be useful?
What would the steps be?

* check the tarballs build/test cleanly
* verify the signatures
* verify presence of license and other (which?) files
* verify content of license and other (which?) files?
* ..?

ap

[1] https://wiki.apache.org/jclouds/Releasing%20jclouds

Re: Testing releases?

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.
Sounds worth adding, probably on a separate page, since that'll have a
broader audience than the release guide on its own will.

At a minimum, we need the steps you mentioned - for the files to check, the
big ones are LICENSE, NOTICE, DISCLAIMER, I think.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to cover how to run live tests there as well - or on
another page linked to from this one. I know we've got out of date live
test directions on jclouds.i.a.o, but they're fairly awful. =)

A.