Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Tarun Ramakrishna Elankath <el...@fastmail.fm> on 2002/03/27 17:28:34 UTC

Reloading Web Applications without manager and without reloadable=true

Hello all,
	I had asked this question previously without anybody understanding. I
need to be able to reload my web-application *without* setting the
reloadable=true parameter in the context tag, when I *dont* have access
to the manager web-application.
	Why? This is because my web-application will be on a *production* server
where reloadable *should* be set equal to false (as the documentation
recommends). And I will not be given access to the manager application
because my web-application resides with web-apps of other independent
developers. I do not want to bother my system administrator for every
modification that I commit to the site. (Even production environments
suffer from modification)
	Is there another way of forcing Tomcat to reload classes of *only* my web
application? If no  such program exists then I would be grateful if
someone could point me towards how to write one.

Any help appreciated,
Tarun

Re: Reloading Web Applications without manager and without reloadable=true

Posted by Jeff Larsen <la...@qec.com>.
I'm not 100% sure about this, but I'm sure someone will
correct me if I'm wrong....

Isn't the manager app limited to apps within the same
virtual host?  So have your sysadmin create a tomcat
virtual host just for your web app. Install the manager
app in your virtual host under a unique context name so
as not to conflict with the manager app for other virtual
hosts. Then configure the role in the web.xml for YOUR manager
app to a custom role and create a unique username and password
for that role in tomcat-users.xml.

Now you have access to a manager app just for your webapp. And
your sysadmin rests easy knowing that you can't mess with anyone
elses webapps.

Jeff