Posted to dev@plc4x.apache.org by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2018/01/15 09:52:18 UTC

What's been going on ...

Hi all,

After finishing my Christmas and skiing holidays, I’m now ready to dive back in deeper as before :-)

In between the two trips, I did spend a lot of time contacting companies that requested more information on PLC4X. After setting up all of our stuff at Apache hand having our Website up and running, I was finally able to do this. Let’s hope this gets some more people interested in using and creating PLC4X.

As we think it’s important to have the industry involved and not look into the crystal ball and guess what the industry needs, I will be meeting with some companies in the next two days, talking to them about first lab tests of what we have created so far. I’ll relay any feedback I get from that to this list and to Jira.

As I mentioned in another Email, I’ll also be having a talk on PLC4X on an Industry conference next week (yikes). This will be interesting as the crowd will be challenging and probably completely different to the folks we usually talk to at conferences. I am hoping to get valuable feedback from that.

In parallel, I have started working on a branch to support raw-socket communication with Netty. This will allow us to create protocol adapters for protocols that are based on IP but not on TCP or UDP. For example, we currently can’t implement any active notification from S7 to PLC4X as that part of the communication is handled below TCP. As soon as we have that working, I will probably feed that back to the Netty project as I think such an adapter is better maintained there. The Netty project is very interested in this.

So hopefully with all of this vacation-crap being over finally, I can again start concentrating on changing the world with you guys ;-) (Still have to take 10 days till end of march though).

Chris