Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Steve R. Burrus" <bu...@swbell.net> on 2002/06/17 05:55:32 UTC

How to set JAVA_HOME

HI, can someone please assist me in configuring the tomcat 4.0.3 Server? First off, is
JAVA_HOME synonomous with the CATALINA_HOME environment variable or not? I have received a
DOS error when I tried to activate Tomcat that says that there was something wrong with how
I had the JAVA_HOME  variable set. I really don't "get it". Can someone please help me
out?!                   Steve Burrus

Re: How to set JAVA_HOME

Posted by Ravishankar S <ra...@ionidea.com>.
ok steve,

here is a step by step check..try this..

1.if u have set the JAVA_HOME env variable..check if XP needs a restart..if
so restart for the env var's to take effect(autoexec.bat needs a restart as
far as i know..not so sure abt XP's env var's....)

2.open a cmd window and cd C:\Java\<tomcat home>\bin

3. now type startup and see the error messages....if any

4.verify if the "port " element in conf\server.xml is 8080..here's a copy of
my tomcat 4.0.3 server.xml ...

    <!-- Define a non-SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8080 -->
               enableLookups="true" redirectPort="8443"
               acceptCount="10" debug="0" connectionTimeout="60000"/>

5.some other webserver like IIS maybe running..stop it or change the tomcat
port to say 8015...IIS runs by default on 80 i believe..

6.now try http://localhost:8080 or whatever port no u set in server.xml
aliter http://127.0.0.1:8080

or

http://<ur machine name>:8080

regs,

ravi

Posted by jon wingfield <jo...@mkodo.com>.
remove the trailing slash from JAVA_HOME. The setclasspath.bat file in the
tomcat bin directory assumes no trailing slashes on any of the environment
variables (as do startup.bat, catalina.bat etc).

Hope this helps,
Jon

Re: How to set JAVA_HOME

Posted by "Steve R. Burrus" <bu...@swbell.net>.

Re: How to set JAVA_HOME

> > HI, can someone please assist me in configuring the tomcat 4.0.3 Server?
First off, is
> > JAVA_HOME synonomous with the CATALINA_HOME environment variable or not?
I have received a
> > DOS error when I tried to activate Tomcat that says that there was
something wrong with how
> > I had the JAVA_HOME  variable set. I really don't "get it". Can someone
please help me
> > out?!                   Steve Burrus
>
> CATALINA_HOME is where Tomcat 4.x is installed, ie startup.sh runs from
$CATALINA_HOME/bin.

> JAVA_HOME is where the Java SDK is installed, ie javac runs from
$JAVA_HOME/bin.

> P.

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
> For additional commands, e-mail: