Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Thomas Drescher <Th...@streber24.de> on 2015/03/16 20:45:56 UTC

OO Calc transpose error

There's a severe transpose error since several versions of OpenOffice Calc:

simple table (5cols, 6rows) A3:E8;  cell B6:  =(B$5-$C$3)/$A6

erroneous result:  =(D$5-$C$3)/$A4

the correct result should be:  =($C4-$A$5)/D$3  !

ciao!

Re: OO Calc transpose error

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 20:45 16/03/2015 +0100, Thomas Drescher wrote:
>There's a severe transpose error since several versions of OpenOffice Calc:
>simple table (5cols, 6rows) A3:E8; cell B6: =(B$5-$C$3)/$A6
>erroneous result: =(D$5-$C$3)/$A4
>the correct result should be: =($C4-$A$5)/D$3 !

Er, you need to say what you are transposing to where ...

At 01:04 17/03/2015 +0100, Thomas Drescher wrote:
>I forgot to mention that I had cut (or copied) the table A3:E8 and
>then pasted it with ctrl+shift+V; then in the copy context menu
>selected: all+transpose. Just to change rows and columns.

I'm having to deduce that you are pasting the transposed table into
A3, in fact.

I don't think this is an error. What you are seeing here is that -
just as with any other act of filling or copying and pasting - the
presence of the $ signs freezes the column letter or row number
following it instead of allowing it to be modified as suits the
relocation of the formula. If you try the original formula without its $ signs:
=(B5-C3)/A6
the transposed version is
=(C4-A5)/D3
- just as you hope.

The idea of the $ signs - surely? - is that you can relocate formulae
with automatic modification *once you have settled the general design
of the spreadsheet*. If you need those $ signs in the formula in the
transposed table, you will have to construct that formula
appropriately after you have transposed your data. Alternatively, it
may be sufficient to paste values instead of formulae. (Without any
detail, no-one can guess whether this suits your actual need.)

>I don't have an account to file a bug report or escalate priority.

I believe neither is necessary, as the behaviour is by design.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: OO Calc transpose error

Posted by Thomas Drescher <Th...@streber24.de>.
Hi Dennis, thanks for the reply.

I forgot to mention that I had cut (or copied) the table A3:E8 and then
pasted it with ctrl+shift+V; then in the copy context menu selected:
all+transpose. Just to change rows and colums.

The cell e.g. B6 is populated with formula =(B$5-$C$3)/$A6 ... can be
expanded to B8. (note: A6 has to be a non zero value)

After the transpose you see all errors !REF !Err522 and
whatyoudon'twannasee.

Thanks for noticing that. - I don't have an account to file a bug report or
escalate priority.

Thomas.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.