Posted to dev@stanbol.apache.org by Rupert Westenthaler <ru...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/13 12:54:17 UTC

How to deal with GSoC code contributions (was: GSoC disambiguation project, any news? (was: GSoC project accepted))

Hi,

Extracted the rather admin related section about how to handle code of
GSoC projects

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 12:03 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 9:19 AM, Rupert Westenthaler
> <ru...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> [1] https://github.com/kritarthanand/Disambiguation-Stanbol/pull/1
>
> So, is https://github.com/kritarthanand/Disambiguation-Stanbol where
> the code of this GSoC project is happening? Why not in Stanbol's
> repository? Was that ever discussed here? Could commit events be sent
> to our commits list so that we can follow? Did Kritarth file an iCLA
> so that the code can easily move here? (lots of questions, I agree ;-)

A lot of questions indeed and this was probably also the reason for the
current - very pragmatic - solution.

I will try to answer them in this mail.

> Why not in Stanbol's repository?

Because in the Apache SVN only committers can write and working with
patches seamed to be impractical for a first iteration.

Is there a better way to handle GSoC projects on Apache infrastructure?

> So, is https://github.com/kritarthanand/Disambiguation-Stanbol where
> the code of this GSoC project is happening?

I just required Kritarth to put the code on a public repository and to
use the Apache License. I think I mentioned google code and github as
possibilities.

For me the used repository seams rather unimportant for the first iteration.

> Could commit events be sent to our commits list so that we can follow?

Yes this is possible by configuring the Email Service Hook for a
Repository.  Can be configured in the Admin section of the repository
under the Hook section.

So it should be possible to send push notifications from github.com to
the "stanbol-commits@incubator.apache.org". I am not sure if the
stanbol-commits list needs to be configured to accept those mails. If
I understood it correctly Github will use the mail address of the user
that pushed changes as sender. So I assume if
"kritarth.anand@gmail.com" joins the stanbol-commits list it should
work.

> Did Kritarth file an iCLA so that the code can easily move here?

I have not mentioned iCLA (http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt)
yet. But this would make definitely sense before contributing the
Disambiguation Engine(s) to Apache.

best
Rupert

Re: How to deal with GSoC code contributions (was: GSoC disambiguation project, any news? (was: GSoC project accepted))

Posted by Rupert Westenthaler <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi Kritarth,

based on this discussion I ask you to have a look at the following two things

(1) can you please set up email notifications for

    https://github.com/kritarthanand/Disambiguation-Stanbol

    stanbol-commits@incubator.apache.org

as described blow. I can not do it for you as only you can
administrate your own repository.

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 3:04 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 12:54 PM, Rupert Westenthaler
> <ru...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ...it should be possible to send push notifications from github.com to
>> the "stanbol-commits@incubator.apache.org". I am not sure if the
>> stanbol-commits list needs to be configured to accept those mails...
>
> A moderator can accept the first moderation message with "reply all"
> so that future ones don't need to be moderated in.
>
> Could you setup those notifications? That would IMO be a first step
> towards making Kritarth's work more visible here.

(2) can you have a look at the iCLA (http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt)

For more information why this is required and how it works please see

    http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas

best
Rupert

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Rupert,

<ru...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 12:03 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz
> <bd...@apache.org> wrote:

>> ...Why not in Stanbol's repository?
>
> Because in the Apache SVN only committers can write and working with
> patches seamed to be impractical for a first iteration.
>
> Is there a better way to handle GSoC projects on Apache infrastructure?...

Some projects have created @apache.org accounts in the past for their
students, and asked for them to be disabled after GSoC if the student
isn't elected as a committer. AFAIK that's still possible (and a good
additional incentive for the student to become a committer ;-)

>> So, is https://github.com/kritarthanand/Disambiguation-Stanbol where
>> the code of this GSoC project is happening?
>
> I just required Kritarth to put the code on a public repository and to
> use the Apache License. I think I mentioned google code and github as
> possibilities.
>
> For me the used repository seams rather unimportant for the first iteration...

Right, but if would have been cool to discuss this here, I don't
remember seeing this.

>> Could commit events be sent to our commits list so that we can follow?
>
> ...it should be possible to send push notifications from github.com to
> the "stanbol-commits@incubator.apache.org". I am not sure if the
> stanbol-commits list needs to be configured to accept those mails...

A moderator can accept the first moderation message with "reply all"
so that future ones don't need to be moderated in.

Could you setup those notifications? That would IMO be a first step
towards making Kritarth's work more visible here.

>> Did Kritarth file an iCLA so that the code can easily move here?
>
> I have not mentioned iCLA (http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt)
> yet. But this would make definitely sense before contributing the
> Disambiguation Engine(s) to Apache....

Please do, and IMO the earlier that engine is contributed the better.

Sorry if I sounded a bit harsh if my comments, but I think the GSoC
midterm evaluation that's happening these days is a great opportunity
to bring this project back on track community-wise, and start making
it happen inside the Stanbol community instead of alongside it - that
makes all the difference.

Thanks very much for your work as a mentor, and thanks to Kritarth as well!

-Bertrand