Posted to marketing@couchdb.apache.org by Lena Reinhard <le...@thehoodiefirm.com> on 2014/05/01 10:56:33 UTC

CouchDB Weekly News May 1 are ready for feedback

Hi everyone,

Noah and Jan, who have been checking and publishing the Weekly News in the last weeks (thanks to you!), had already suggested that I send my finished version of the Weekly News not only to the two of them, but to the entire marketing list. The idea behind is to make this more transparent and ensure the News can also get posted by one of you in case the two of them are not around.

As I'm still so new to this community, I had needed some weeks to get into this and feel comfortable with doing so. This is why today is the first time I'm sending it out to the entire list.

So, there we go.

Below, I'm sending you the Weekly News for today (they're usually posted around 12pm UTC + 2) in a formatted version and as plain HTML (the latter one to make the posting on the blog easier). As usually, it contains all major discussions, a summary of the Weekly Meeting, events, jobs and all other relevant content I found last week.

Just two "release notes":
- I included a content-wrap this time, I tested it on a site and hope it works properly :)
- I left the "please help us testing rcouch merge" section (under "Get involved") in. If we can already leave this out due to the testing progress, let me know.

If you have any annotations or comments (or find typos :) ), please let me know and I'll send an updated version. If it's good to go (then), it would be great if one of you could post it.

Also thanks to everyone who submitted content for this!

Best

Lena

----
TEXT
----
CouchDB Weekly News - May 01

Weekly CouchDB meeting – summary

1.6.0 release: we are making progress, next is checking if all bugs have been fixed
BigCouch merge status: Cloudant will now focus on the BigCouch merge, visible progress should happen in the next couple of weeks
rcouch merge status: the testing is still in progress, feedback will be provided to the mailing list; merge to the new integration branch can be done after that feedback
Code of Conduct: the first version will now be drafted based on the discussion on the mailing list (for details, see "Major Discussions" section below)
by-laws: everyone in the community is invited to read the draft and join the discussion (see thread); please note that the bylaws now include a new idea about PMC chair rotation
translation update: German translation is making good progress (see status here)
Major Discussions

Apache CouchDB Diversity Statement (see thread)

This discussion was initiated with the suggestion to establish a project-wide Diversity Statement. First, the idea was brought up to turn this document into a PMC charter, a document that sets out what the PMC values, their commitment to diversity, and their pledge to the project. The second idea was about how merit is being recognised and it was brought up to broaden this around the four areas community, project, documentation and code. "This is what we value. This is what we will recognise. Our promise to the community." (Noah Slater) It was agreed on creating two documents, one for the PMC charter, a second one for diversity.

Discussion: Project by-laws (ongoing discussion; see thread)

Proposal to vote in set of project by-laws that define the specific roles in this community and
the decision making procedures that are used. The first draft of the by-laws has been discussed and modified accordingly and can be found here. Comments are very welcome.

Apache CouchDB Developer Code of Conduct (ongoing discussion; see thread)

The PMC initiated a thread on moving forwards establishing an Apache CouchDB Developer Code of Conduct (CoC for short). Example Codes of Conduct from Debian, Python, Django , Bantik, Node.JS and the Node.JS IRC channel policy were as well considered and discussed as transparency, the consequences of infractions and the differentiation between minor offences and major offences, how to deal with profanity and how this applies to IRC and the moderation policy there.

HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) / HIPAA 5010 / PIPEDA compliance (see thread)

Question on building applications using CouchDB while having to follow HIPAA compliance. As for the legal topic this is, the community strongly recommended the user get in touch with a lawyer and getting proper compliancy and regulatory guidance.

CouchDB load spike (see thread, see also the same question on StackOverflow)

Setup: CouchDB 1.5.0, database with < 10 GB of data in it and continuous replication. Every few hours (3-4 times per day) they recognise a huge spike that floors the load to around 1.5 and memory usage to close to 100%. It turned out there was a similar issue that was already discussed (link to gist). The user filed issue COUCHDB-2231.

Tips for general CouchDB monitoring and graphs drawing tools to check what's causing huge spikes (from Alexander Shorin, see this reply):

Munin plugin for CouchDB monitoring. Suddenly, it doesn't handles system metrics for
CouchDB process which will be added soon; users should make sure they have a similar plugin for their monitoring system.
Skyline, a detector for spikes and other anomalies
Oculus, a metrics correlation tool that makes it very easy to compare multiple graphs for an anomaly period with it.
Release Apache CouchDB 1.6.0 rc3 (ongoing testing and discussion; see thread)

Some issues have already been fixed, the testing is still ongoing. Find all release artefacts we are voting on in this list. If you want to test, please follow this test procedure. The changes since last vote round can be found here.

Releases in the CouchDB Universe

yama – mail app, work in progress; syncs CouchDB instance with an email inbox for RESTful email
tornado-couchdb 0.2.3 – Blocking and non-blocking (asynchronous) clients for CouchDB using Tornado's httpclient
loveseat 0.0.11 – very limited CouchDB interface
follow-db-updates 0.0.2 – easy CouchDB _db_changes follower, with older couch pollyfill
seneca-couchdb-changes 0.1.0 – emit seneca.js events for all events in a couchdb _changes feed
changes-stream 1.0.3 – simple module that handles getting changes from couchdb
neuropil 3.0.2 – a lighter and faster registry client for CouchDB based npm server
nano 5.8.0 – minimalistic CouchDB driver for node.js
couch_tap 0.0.2 – providing a DSL that allows complex CouchDB documents to be converted into rows in a RDBMS' table
Opinions

Building resilient infrastructure with CouchDB – slides from a talk at NoSQL matters
Some Thoughts on Go and Erlang
Compare-And-Swap; lockless paradigm with CouchDB/Cloudant
Erlang for Web Developers with Leptus Micro-Framework
Use Cases, Questions and Answers

Note on a use case, written by Dave Cottlehuber (see email): Creating databases for new users signing up with a CouchDB login. – A common pattern for CouchDB is to have a per-user database, because this is the only boundary where CouchDB enforces user permissions for security. It also makes replicating user data to another device very straightforwards. When you have a new user signing up with a CouchDB login, you’ll often want to create a database for them immediately. While there’s no built-in feature to do this for you, the CouchDB community have of course rolled their own like these:
couchperuser
couchdb-dbpersuser-provisioning
Personal Blog, how-to: Installing CouchDB 1.5.1 on Amazon Linux AMI 2014.03.1
Stack Overflow: CouchDB not Working on Android Emulator
Stack Overflow: Couchdb document deletion and performance
Stack Overflow: Is it possible to conditionally revoke read access to a database in CouchDB? (closed)
Stack Overflow: Can a view in Cloudant be filtered on parameters that weren't part of [its] key
Stack Overflow: add an attachment to a document in couch db using nodejs
Stack Overflow: CouchDB load spike (even with low traffic)? (question has also been asked on user@ mailing list. See discussion summary here)
Stack Overflow: CouchDB filtering metadata during sync
Stack Overflow: User Authentication using CouchDB Android
Stack Overflow: ubuntu couchDb not starting on change of database_dir path (no public answer yet)
Stack Overflow: Join two different documents in couchdb using futon map program?
Stack Overflow: How to structure class for Couchdb HTTP api? (no public answer yet)
couchdb still at 1.5.0-2 even though it has been updated to 1.5.1-1 two weeks ago
local (1.5.1-1) is newer than community (1.5.0-2) (solved)
Android-User Authentication using CouchDB Android (no public answer yet)
Personal blog, question: Can replication on CouchDB be faster on production server? (no public answer yet)
Get involved!

If you want to get into working on CouchDB:

rcouch Merge: Erlang hackers and CouchDB users, we need your help with testing and review of the rcouch merge. It's easy! Find the how-to in this post.
Here's a list of beginner tickets around our currently ongoing Fauxton-implementation. If you have any questions or need help, don't hesitate to contact us in the couchdb-dev IRC room (#couchdb-dev) – Garren (garren) and Sue (deathbear) are happy to help.
You want join us for the updates of CouchDB-Python for Python 3? Take a look at issue 231.
We'd be happy to have you!

Events

May 13, Hamburg, Germany: the first CouchDB User Group meeting in Hamburg
May 13, New York, USA: Database Superstars Panel, Future of NoSQL & NewSQL: CouchDB, NuoDB, OracleNoSQL
Job opportunities for people with CouchDB skills

Database Architect with NoSQL DB/ Mongo DB/ Couch DB, Noida, India
… and also in the news

Sketch: The Two Ronnies - The Confusing Library (which could also just be about indexing data)
Not on App Store – because there isn't an app for everything
Posted on behalf of Lena Reinhard.

----
HTML
----

CouchDB Weekly News - May 01, 2014
<h4>Weekly CouchDB meeting – <a href="http://wilderness.apache.org/archives/couchdb-meeting-30_04_2014-9188.html">summary</a></h4>
<ul>
</ul>
<h4>Major Discussions</h4>
<h5>Apache CouchDB Diversity Statement (<a href="http://markmail.org/search/?q=[DISCUSS]+Apache+CouchDB+Diversity+Statement.#query:[DISCUSS]%20Apache%20CouchDB%20Diversity%20Statement.%20list%3Aorg.apache.couchdb.dev%20order%3Adate-backward+page:2+mid:fqfvc6ghp3ssk5ef+state:results">see thread</a>)</h5>
<h5>Discussion: Project by-laws (ongoing discussion; <a href="http://markmail.org/search/?q=issues+with+terabytes+databases+list%3Aorg.apache.couchdb.user+order%3Adate-backward+date%3A201404#query:issues%20with%20terabytes%20databases%20list%3Aorg.apache.couchdb.user%20order%3Adate-backward%20date%3A200802-200810%20date%3A200812-201005%20date%3A201007-201303%20date%3A201305-201306%20date%3A201308-201404%20+page:1+mid:pxnd6vdpjuwjioqw+state:results">see thread</a>)</h5>
<h5>Apache CouchDB Developer Code of Conduct (ongoing discussion; <a href="http://markmail.org/search/?q=[VOTE]+Release+Apache+CouchDB+1.6.0-rc.3#query:[VOTE]%20Release%20Apache%20CouchDB%201.6.0-rc.3%20list%3Aorg.apache.couchdb.dev%20order%3Adate-backward+page:2+mid:p3txsrlgmm55ienf+state:results">see thread</a>)</h5>
<h5>HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) / HIPAA 5010 / PIPEDA compliance (<a href="http://markmail.org/search/?q=hippa+rules#query:hippa%20rules%20list%3Aorg.apache.couchdb.user%20date%3A201404%20order%3Adate-backward+page:1+mid:pjyg2nazliijjijp+state:results">see thread</a>)</h5>
<h5><a id="load-spike-discussion"></a>CouchDB load spike (<a href="http://markmail.org/search/?q=couchdb+load+spike#query:couchdb%20load%20spike%20list%3Aorg.apache.couchdb.user%20date%3A201404%20order%3Adate-backward+page:1+mid:dztlbqyzen4q4zls+state:results">see thread</a>, see also the same question <a href="http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23330204/couchdb-load-spike-even-with-low-traffic">on StackOverflow</a>)</h5>

<ul>
	<li>CouchDB process which will be added soon; users should make sure they have a similar plugin for their monitoring system.</li>
</ul>
<h5>Release Apache CouchDB 1.6.0 rc3 (ongoing testing and discussion; <a href="http://markmail.org/search/?q=[VOTE]+Release+Apache+CouchDB+1.6.0-rc.3#query:[VOTE]%20Release%20Apache%20CouchDB%201.6.0-rc.3%20list%3Aorg.apache.couchdb.dev%20order%3Adate-backward+page:2+mid:p3txsrlgmm55ienf+state:results">see thread</a>)</h5>
<h4>Releases in the CouchDB Universe</h4>
<ul>
</ul>
<h4>Opinions</h4>
<ul>
	<li><a class="title" href="http://undercovertechguy.wordpress.com/2014/04/24/compare-and-swap-lockless-paradigm-with-couchdbcloudant/" rel="bookmark">Compare-And-Swap; lockless paradigm with CouchDB/Cloudant</a></li>
	<li>Erlang for Web Developers with Leptus Micro-Framework</li>
</ul>
<h4>Use Cases, Questions and Answers</h4>
<ul>
<ul>
	<li><a href="https://github.com/pegli/couchdb-dbperuser-provisioning">couchdb-dbpersuser-provisioning</a></li>
</ul>
</li>
	<li>Personal Blog, how-to: <a href="http://www.everyhaironyourhead.com/installing-couchdb-1-5-1-on-amazon-linux-ami-2014-03-1/">Installing CouchDB 1.5.1 on Amazon Linux AMI 2014.03.1</a></li>
	<li>Stack Overflow: <a class="question-hyperlink" href="http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23242206/couchdb-not-working-on-android-emulator">CouchDB not Working on Android Emulator</a></li>
	<li>Stack Overflow: <a class="question-hyperlink" href="http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23261771/couchdb-document-deletion-and-performance">Couchdb document deletion and performance</a></li>
	<li>Stack Overflow: <a class="question-hyperlink" href="http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23255859/is-it-possible-to-conditionally-revoke-read-access-to-a-database-in-couchdb">Is it possible to conditionally revoke read access to a database in CouchDB?</a> (closed)</li>
	<li>Stack Overflow: <a class="question-hyperlink" href="http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23292586/can-a-view-in-cloudant-be-filtered-on-parameters-that-werent-part-of-its-key">Can a view in Cloudant be filtered on parameters that weren't part of [its] key</a></li>
	<li>Stack Overflow: <a class="question-hyperlink" href="http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23307554/add-an-attachment-to-a-document-in-couch-db-using-nodejs">add an attachment to a document in couch db using nodejs</a></li>
	<li>Stack Overflow: <a class="question-hyperlink" href="http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23333943/couchdb-filtering-metadata-during-sync">CouchDB filtering metadata during sync</a></li>
	<li>Stack Overflow: <a class="question-hyperlink" href="http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23335350/user-authentication-using-couchdb-android">User Authentication using CouchDB Android</a></li>
	<li>Stack Overflow: <a class="question-hyperlink" href="http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23339683/ubuntu-couchdb-not-starting-on-change-of-database-dir-path">ubuntu couchDb not starting on change of database_dir path</a> (no public answer yet)</li>
	<li>Stack Overflow: <a class="question-hyperlink" href="http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23358813/join-two-different-documents-in-couchdb-using-futon-map-program">Join two different documents in couchdb using futon map program?</a></li>
	<li>Stack Overflow: <a class="question-hyperlink" href="http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23403056/how-to-structure-class-for-couchdb-http-api">How to structure class for Couchdb HTTP api?</a> (no public answer yet)</li>
	<li><a href="http://www.opendevs.org/myvwh/couchdb-still-at-1-5-2-even-though-it-has-been-updated-to-1-5-1-1-two-weeks-ago.html">couchdb still at 1.5.0-2 even though it has been updated to 1.5.1-1 two weeks ago</a></li>
	<li><a href="https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1409165#p1409165">local (1.5.1-1) is newer than community (1.5.0-2)</a> (solved)</li>
	<li><a href="http://queforum.com/android-applications/929461-android-user-authentication-using-couchdb-android.html">Android-User Authentication using CouchDB Android</a> (no public answer yet)</li>
	<li>Personal blog, question: <a href="http://vidz-lab.biz/user39/2014/04/24/can-replication-couchdb-faster-production-server/">Can replication on CouchDB be faster on production server?</a> (no public answer yet)</li>
</ul>
<h4>Get involved!</h4>
If you want to get into working on CouchDB:
<ul>
</ul>
We'd be happy to have you!
<h4>Events</h4>
<ul>
	<li>May 13, Hamburg, Germany: the first <a href="https://plus.google.com/u/0/events/cvpbo7g50t77ii8nvdkitche8h8">CouchDB User Group meeting</a> in Hamburg</li>
</ul>
<h4>Job opportunities for people with CouchDB skills</h4>
<ul>
</ul>
<h4>… and also in the news</h4>
<ul>
</ul>
<em>Posted on behalf of Lena Reinhard.</em>

Re: CouchDB Weekly News May 1 are ready for feedback

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
https://blogs.apache.org/couchdb/entry/couchdb_weekly_news_may_1

Starting promotion.

--
Noah Slater
https://twitter.com/nslater

Re: CouchDB Weekly News May 1 are ready for feedback

Posted by Adam Kocoloski <ko...@apache.org>.
Looks great folks - nice work!

Adam

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
No rush on that at all! This is sterling work!

Posted by Lena Reinhard <le...@thehoodiefirm.com>.

Posted by Andy Wenk <an...@nms.de>.
that would be great indeed ...

--
Andy Wenk
Hamburg - Germany

http://www.couchdb-buch.de
http://www.pg-praxisbuch.de

Re: CouchDB Weekly News May 1 are ready for feedback

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Perhaps we can start collecting tips on the wiki for how to gather all
this info!

On 1 May 2014 20:02, Andy Wenk <an...@nms.de> wrote:
> Hi Lena,
>
> thanks a lot. Again - awesome :). I am wondering which tools and practices
> you are using to aggregate the news that good - but it shall be your secret
> :).
>
> I have nothing to add and am happy to see the news released.
>
> Cheers
>
> Andy
>

> On 1 May 2014 11:46, Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I’d change that to:
>> >
>> > “It doesn’t handle system metrics for the CouchDB process yet, but that
>> will be added soon”
>>
>> +1. and this project was in previous issue, so thanks for mention it
>> there twice (:
>>
>> Also, if we'll try to use munin, skyline and oculus to monitor
>> CouchDB, there is one chain missed:
>> https://github.com/Tech-Corps/munin-statsd
>> since skyline gathers data from statsd, while oculus imports data from
>> skyline to elasticsearch
>>
>> But anyway, all these details are better to describe in our wiki. Both
>> projects are worth to be mention and hope that people figure out how
>> to use them before we provide the instructions against CouchDB (:
>>
>> --
>> ,,,^..^,,,
>>

> --
> Andy Wenk
> Hamburg - Germany
> RockIt!
>
> http://www.couchdb-buch.de
> http://www.pg-praxisbuch.de

Noah Slater
https://twitter.com/nslater

Re: CouchDB Weekly News May 1 are ready for feedback

Posted by Andy Wenk <an...@nms.de>.
Hi Lena,

--
Andy Wenk
Hamburg - Germany

http://www.couchdb-buch.de
http://www.pg-praxisbuch.de

Re: CouchDB Weekly News May 1 are ready for feedback

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.
How about to reuse existed infrastructure?
https://github.com/couchdbweekly/weekly

--
,,,^..^,,,

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

--
Noah Slater
https://twitter.com/nslater

Re: CouchDB Weekly News May 1 are ready for feedback

Posted by Lena Reinhard <le...@thehoodiefirm.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Woo, thanks Lena!

--
Noah Slater
https://twitter.com/nslater

Re: CouchDB Weekly News May 1 are ready for feedback

Posted by Lena Reinhard <le...@thehoodiefirm.com>.

Posted by Adam Kocoloski <ko...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@skunkwerks.at>.
A.M.A.Z.E.D.

Lena this is incredible, I had no idea how much stuff happens around couchdb.

So wow.
Such thanks.

A+
Dave

From: Lena Reinhard lena@thehoodiefirm.com
Reply: marketing@couchdb.apache.org marketing@couchdb.apache.org
Date: 01. Mai 2014 at 11:44:16
To: marketing@couchdb.apache.org marketing@couchdb.apache.org
Subject:  Re: CouchDB Weekly News May 1 are ready for feedback

Great, thanks for the feedback and happy to hear!

Pasting the updated HTML version below.

----
HTML VERSION 2
----

-----

On 01.05.2014, at 11:33, Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> wrote:

> Heya Lena,
>
> outstanding work, again :) Thanks so much! I only have a tiny nitpick:
>
> On 01 May 2014, at 09:56 , Lena Reinhard <le...@thehoodiefirm.com> wrote:
>
>> Suddenly, it doesn't handles system metrics for
>> CouchDB process which will be added soon
>
> I’d change that to:
>
> “It doesn’t handle system metrics for the CouchDB process yet, but that will be added soon”
>

> Best
> Jan

  Dave Cottlehuber
  dch@skunkwerks.at
  Sent from my Couch

Re: CouchDB Weekly News May 1 are ready for feedback

Posted by Lena Reinhard <le...@thehoodiefirm.com>.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
Heya Lena,