Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> on 2019/09/28 12:08:23 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Maven 3.7.0

I would say that fixing the Tycho issue comes first.

Gary

Re: [DISCUSS] Maven 3.7.0

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
+1 on Java 8 requirement for Maven runtime (note this still lets you
compile with Java 7 if you are prepared to use toolchains... the complexity
of using toolchains is an argument for improving/revisiting toolchains)

+1 on getting the place for filtering the pom.xml to produce the consumer
pom.xml, but I would go one step further. Enable it by default, but allow
opt-out. Also I would suggest to pick up a feature-flagging technique to
allow a project to opt out just by declaring the `maven.experimental.___`
property in the `pom.xml`. We should be clear that such flags will stop
working once the feature is confirmed solid, but NOBODY will turn the
experimental flag on, especially if it is a system property only flag...
and if we do not have confidence that the feature will work with both the
shade plugin and the gpg plugin then - quite frankly - the feature is not
ready

Re: [DISCUSS] Maven 3.7.0

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Maven 3.7.0

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
Robert,

Re: [DISCUSS] Maven 3.7.0

Posted by Sylwester Lachiewicz <sl...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Maven 3.7.0

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
+1 for Java 8

Re: [DISCUSS] Maven 3.7.0

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
> Then why you are setting target to 1.8 without the code?

As said: there *are* Java 8 specific code changes:

https://github.com/apache/maven/compare/MNG-6656?expand=1#diff-becf9d362b95e48f9ca0f2ab76ca9f8fR54
(and every other method in this class)
https://github.com/apache/maven/compare/MNG-6656?expand=1#diff-97970a066f1696b603d96aad18b0f016R30
https://github.com/apache/maven/compare/MNG-6656?expand=1#diff-42c7d5b776fd974f21918f6d7ff2ab24R82-R94
https://github.com/apache/maven/compare/MNG-6656?expand=1#diff-3af5d63445648bbb61fddf8863a53888R36-R62

Even though all these classes live in the new maven-xml module, if you try
to only compile this module with Java 8, and let maven-core depend on it
with an @Inject for the BuildPomXMLFilterFactory, Maven simple won't start
on Java 7 anymore. Trying to keep Maven Java 7 compatible including these
files will introduce unmaintainable and unreadable code.
Hence why I started this [discuss] topic.
Up until now most people see this as the right opportunity to require Java
8.

Robert

Re: [DISCUSS] Maven 3.7.0

Posted by Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org>.