Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by ychen56 <yc...@netzero.net> on 2001/06/25 21:12:28 UTC

question on installing mod_perl to activePerl on win98

Hi:
>From your website http://perl.apache.org/distributions.html, I got
message( see following)

Win32 ActivePerl mod_perl ppms - suitable for builds 6xx. You can install
this by, within the ppm shell, setting the repository to
http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/cgi-bin/ppmserver?urn:/PPMServer and typing
install mod_perl. This will also run a post-install script to install the
required mod_perl.so to your Apache modules/ directory.

I followed the instruction, but ppm can not find mod_perl, in fact I opened
this link, nothing there. I really need to install mod_perl in my computer
to do some projects, my operation system is win98, I appreciate to get your
quick respond.

Thanks
Ye

NetZero Platinum
No Banner Ads and Unlimited Access
Sign Up Today - Only $9.95 per month!
http://www.netzero.net

Re: question on installing mod_perl to activePerl on win98

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Mon, 25 Jun 2001, ychen56 wrote:

> Thanks, I have installed mod_perl successfully by setting the repository to
> http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppmpackages/.
> I have one more question. The version of mod_perl is 1.25 which is written
> for apache 1.3.20, my  apache version is 1.3.14,
> I think I need copy the file mod_perl.so to apachemodperl.dll, right? What
> else I need to do? Or I have to use apache 1.3.20 instead of 1.3.14?
>
> Best Regards
> Ye

Generally, in the Win32 Apache world, one should keep as current
as possible, for bug/security fixes. So if it's at all possible,
it's probably a good idea to upgrade to Apache_1.3.20. If that's
impossible, there are older Apache/mod_perl versions in
  http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppmpackages/mod_perl-legacy/.
The versioning goes mod_perl-x.xx_y.yy.ppd, where x.xx refers
to the mod_perl version and y.yy refers to the apache version.
You should note the .ppd file corresponding to your apache
version, and install it as (all on one line)
    ppm install
    http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppmpackages/mod_perl-legacy/whatever.ppd
Using a mod_perl version compiled for a different apache than you're
using doesn't always work. Note that, after Apache_1.3.15, the name of
the mod_perl dll that goes into your Apache modules/ directory was
changed from ApacheModulePerl.dll to mod_perl.so.

best regards,
randy kobes

Re: question on installing mod_perl to activePerl on win98

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Mon, 25 Jun 2001, ychen56 wrote:

> Hi:
> >From your website http://perl.apache.org/distributions.html, I got
> message( see following)
>
> Win32 ActivePerl mod_perl ppms - suitable for builds 6xx. You can install
> this by, within the ppm shell, setting the repository to
> http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/cgi-bin/ppmserver?urn:/PPMServer and typing
> install mod_perl. This will also run a post-install script to install the
> required mod_perl.so to your Apache modules/ directory.
>
> I followed the instruction, but ppm can not find mod_perl, in fact I opened
> this link, nothing there. I really need to install mod_perl in my computer
> to do some projects, my operation system is win98, I appreciate to get your
> quick respond.
>
> Thanks
> Ye

The above link only gives something sensible when called by
the ppm utility. Did you try this as

  DOS> ppm
  ppm> set repository whatever
	http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/cgi-bin/ppmserver?urn:/PPMServer
  ppm> search mod_perl
  ppm> install mod_perl
  ppm> quit

(the "set repository ..." should appear on one line). If this
doesn't work, try installing directly as (again as one line)

  DOS> ppm install
        http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppmpackages/mod_perl.ppd

If neither of these work, do you have problems installing
modules from ActiveState's repository? eg, does

  DOS> ppm install GD

install GD.pm OK?

best regards,
randy kobes