Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Laszlo Boszormenyi <gc...@c64.rulez.org> on 2001/02/19 18:28:44 UTC

Cocoon/Xerces crashes JVM (1.3*)

Hello,

I am a bit new in this area. Anyway, I have a working environment with Apache
1.3.14, Tomcat 3.2.1, Ant 1.2. My JDK is 1.3_01. Then I installed Cocoon 1.8.2,
and configured as I have seen on the homepage. Wow, I realized it needs
Xerces too; so I installed version 1.3.0. Then, if I start Tomcat, I can use
my projects without problems. But as soon as I want to reach _any_ sample
from Cocoon, I get (I connect to port 8080, so Apache is not used):

# HotSpot Virtual Machine Error, Unexpected Signal 11
# Please report this error at
# http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi
# Error ID: 4F533F4C494E55580E43505005BC
# Problematic Thread: prio=1 tid=0x823fe00 nid=0x35d2 runnable

I have tried with Xerces 1.2.3, JDK 1.3, but the problem remains the same.
Any idea what can be so wrong? I know what signal 11 is, but I can not
separate the problem to any part of the server. All I know that the jsp and
servlet files are working right, only .xml files cause a crash (.xsl files
are not mapped, so I get their source if I click on them).
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks, Laszlo Boszormenyi
Ps:Forgot, that my machine is a PIII 666Mhz/320Mb RAM running Debian 2.2 rev2

Re: Cocoon/Xerces crashes JVM (1.3*)

Posted by Paul Russell <pa...@luminas.co.uk>.
* Laszlo Boszormenyi (gcs@c64.rulez.org) wrote :
> # HotSpot Virtual Machine Error, Unexpected Signal 11
> # Please report this error at
> # http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi
> # Error ID: 4F533F4C494E55580E43505005BC
> # Problematic Thread: prio=1 tid=0x823fe00 nid=0x35d2 runnable

Not a lot we can do about that, to be honest. Signal 11 is a segfault,
which Really Shouldn't Happen in Java. We can't do anything to fix it as
it's a bug in the JVM rather than in Cocoon. Have you tried running the
JVM with the -Xint flag to disable the hotspot compiler? Obviously, I'd
suggest you report that bug to Sun so that they can fix their JVM...

P.