Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com> on 1995/10/29 17:59:24 UTC

Binary Distributions

I have taken the liberty to create a set of directories on hyperreal.

/export/pub/httpd/dist/binaries

Under that there is currently sunos_4.1.3, netbsd_1.1 and bsdi_1.1.
In the sunos_4.1.3 directory I have placed modules.c and Makefile.
modules.c should be portable between systems, but I leave it there
just in case.

I would like to start some discussion about what the binary releases
should include, and who is responsible for what platform. In theory,
we should just be able to grab a copy of these two files from the
directories above and compile the release.

IMHO - A binary release should simply be the source release with
compiled binaries in the 'src' directory. This way, if they do make
a change, they should not compile everything before relinking. In
theory, we have known working compiler configs etc....

The directories I have created are for the OS's I have access to
and am willing to supply binaries. I could also add hpux_9.0.x
if that is not covered by some other poor soul.

Re: Binary Distributions

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>.
On Sun, 29 Oct 1995, Randy Terbush wrote:
> I have taken the liberty to create a set of directories on hyperreal.
>
> /export/pub/httpd/dist/binaries
>
> Under that there is currently sunos_4.1.3, netbsd_1.1 and bsdi_1.1.
> In the sunos_4.1.3 directory I have placed modules.c and Makefile.
> modules.c should be portable between systems, but I leave it there
> just in case.

Okay, I added BSDI 2.0, Solaris 2.4, and Irix 5.3.  Those are the
platforms I am willing and able to build for.  The ownerships on those
directories can be a clue as to who is responsible for each binary build.

> I would like to start some discussion about what the binary releases
> should include, and who is responsible for what platform. In theory,
> we should just be able to grab a copy of these two files from the
> directories above and compile the release.
>
> IMHO - A binary release should simply be the source release with
> compiled binaries in the 'src' directory. This way, if they do make
> a change, they should not compile everything before relinking. In
> theory, we have known working compiler configs etc....

Keeping the .o files around will be a pain - they don't
compress very well.  I would support having everything the same as the
regular distribution, except with a

> The directories I have created are for the OS's I have access to
> and am willing to supply binaries. I could also add hpux_9.0.x
> if that is not covered by some other poor soul.

no one yet, but rob hartill hasn't signed up for anything yet, and I know
it's his favorite OS.

	Brian

p.s. - w/r/t the whole performance issue, www.organic.com (which is also
a virtual server for most of our clients) is a 486/50 which yesterday
handled 300444 hits without breaking a sweat.... that Sparc 20 purchase
just keeps getting pushed back further and further in priority :)