Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by srinivas <sj...@gmail.com> on 2014/01/10 02:47:26 UTC

Error in starting DFS - message says JAVA_HOME not set though the workstation has working java

Hi,

I have untarred the release 2.1.1 - beta into my Ubuntu 13.04 workstation.
I have a working version of java 7 installed. I can execute java programs
in the workstation. When I start hdfs, the statup process aborts with a
message JAVA_HOME not set.

I am attaching the screen shots of the hdfs startup process.

OS : Ubuntu 13.04 raring ringtail
Hadoop version : 2.1.1-beta
Java version:java-7-openjdk-amd64

Thanks.

Re: Error in starting DFS - message says JAVA_HOME not set though the workstation has working java

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
You'll need to set JAVA_HOME under the $HADOOP_CONF_DIR/hadoop-env.sh
explicitly. This variable is not a system global one.

--
Harsh J

Re: Error in starting DFS - message says JAVA_HOME not set though the workstation has working java

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Error in starting DFS - message says JAVA_HOME not set though the workstation has working java

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Error in starting DFS - message says JAVA_HOME not set though the workstation has working java

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J