Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jacob Rhoden <ja...@rhoden.id.au> on 2007/11/17 12:40:12 UTC

Tomcat vs (other container) compatibility

Hi,

Just wondering if there is anyone who has been or is involved in cross
JEE container work, how compatible are tomcat apps with other commercial
apps such as OC4J, Websphere, BEA and so on? If you don't use tomcat
specific things, does it "just work", I ask because the compatibility
issue might come up at work.

Best Regards,
Jacob

RE: simple question on Tomcat-apache

Posted by Sh...@CobbEnergy.com.
I`m trying to setup  it for lawson app server (ERP)  ,which does not
officially support 6.0 version (as per lawson admin) . Is  anyone  out
there using  6.0  with lawson ?

Thanks
Shekhar

"Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>
11/18/2007 10:47 PM
Please respond to
"Tomcat Users List" <us...@tomcat.apache.org>

"Tomcat Users List" <us...@tomcat.apache.org>
cc

Subject
RE: simple question on Tomcat-apache

> From: Shekhar.Dhotre@CobbEnergy.com
> [mailto:Shekhar.Dhotre@CobbEnergy.com]
> Subject: RE: simple question on Tomcat-apache
>
> Does  5.5 version falls into  newer version ?

Yes, but 6.0 is better for several reasons, including simplified
classloading and the availability of an NIO connector.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

RE: simple question on Tomcat-apache

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Shekhar.Dhotre@CobbEnergy.com
> [mailto:Shekhar.Dhotre@CobbEnergy.com]
> Subject: RE: simple question on Tomcat-apache
>
> Does  5.5 version falls into  newer version ?

Yes, but 6.0 is better for several reasons, including simplified
classloading and the availability of an NIO connector.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

RE: simple question on Tomcat-apache

Posted by Sh...@CobbEnergy.com.
 >>>Using both Tomcat and httpd together is fairly
>>common, but performance of the newer versions of Tomcat eliminate that
>>reason for doing so.
Does  5.5 version falls into  newer version ?

Thanks for the explanation Chuck .

"Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>
11/18/2007 10:12 PM
Please respond to
"Tomcat Users List" <us...@tomcat.apache.org>

"Tomcat Users List" <us...@tomcat.apache.org>
cc

Subject
RE: simple question on Tomcat-apache

> From: Shekhar.Dhotre@CobbEnergy.com
> [mailto:Shekhar.Dhotre@CobbEnergy.com]
> Subject: simple question on Tomcat-apache
>
> does Tomcat -apache contains http server

Tomcat is a capable web server as well as a Servlet/JSP container, and
can be used standalone for most environments.  As downloaded, the
default installation is oriented towards a development environment using
ports 8080 and 8443 and auto-deployment, but can easily be reconfigured
for production use on ports 80 and 443.  It does not include httpd
(which is why there's no httpd.conf file), but instead handles HTTP and
HTTPS with a pure Java implementation.  (There is a native code
connector available for performance-critical environments.)

Apache httpd is a separate product serving static content and script
execution, and can be used as a load-balancing mechanism to front-end
multiple Tomcats.  Using both Tomcat and httpd together is fairly

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Shekhar.Dhotre@CobbEnergy.com
> [mailto:Shekhar.Dhotre@CobbEnergy.com]
> Subject: simple question on Tomcat-apache
>
> does Tomcat -apache contains http server

Tomcat is a capable web server as well as a Servlet/JSP container, and
can be used standalone for most environments.  As downloaded, the
default installation is oriented towards a development environment using
ports 8080 and 8443 and auto-deployment, but can easily be reconfigured
for production use on ports 80 and 443.  It does not include httpd
(which is why there's no httpd.conf file), but instead handles HTTP and
HTTPS with a pure Java implementation.  (There is a native code
connector available for performance-critical environments.)

Apache httpd is a separate product serving static content and script
execution, and can be used as a load-balancing mechanism to front-end
multiple Tomcats.  Using both Tomcat and httpd together is fairly
common, but performance of the newer versions of Tomcat eliminate that
reason for doing so.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

RE: simple question on Tomcat-apache

Posted by Sh...@CobbEnergy.com.
Thanks for the reply Timothy.

"Timothy Wonil Lee" <ti...@koorong.com.au>
11/18/2007 10:12 PM
Please respond to
"Tomcat Users List" <us...@tomcat.apache.org>

"'Tomcat Users List'" <us...@tomcat.apache.org>
cc

Subject
RE: simple question on Tomcat-apache

Tomcat and HTTP Server are completely different product, and when you
download Tomcat, it does not include http server.

The only reason why "Tomcat" is also called "Apache Tomcat" is because it
is
a product/project under Apache Software Foundation.

Apache HTTP server: http://httpd.apache.org/
Apache Tomcat: http://tomcat.apache.org/

Regards,

Timothy Wonil Lee

Java Developer
Koorong Books (http://www.koorong.com/)
email: timothyl@koorong.com
direct ph: (+612) 9857 4448
direct fax: (+612) 9857 6648
http://www.google.com/reader/shared/16849249410805339619

Re: Tomcat vs (other container) compatibility

Posted by Gabe Wong <ga...@ngasi.com>.
That is more an Application design issue. In short, there are
incompatibilities across the various containers.
So if you are developing a cross-container application, the simpler it
is the more chances of less re-configuration on different containers.
However that may be contradictory as more requirements usually results
in more complexities.
Simple difference, is JNDI. The following are differences in calling a
jdbc object called defaultDS:

Tomcat/Jetty: java:comp/env/jdbc/defaultDS
Orion(Oracle-OC4J)/Tomcat: jdbc/defaultDS
JBoss: java:/defaultDS
Weblogic: defaultDS

And this is just one of the many differences. More off the top of my
head, EJBs, Virtual Hosting configuration, etc.
Some containers also require container specific XML descriptor in the
application e.g. jboss.xml, etc.

David Smith wrote:
> Michael wrote:
>> Johnny Kewl wrote:

>>> HARBOR: http://coolharbor.100free.com/index.htm
>>> Now Tomcat is also a cool pojo application server
>>>
>>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jacob Rhoden" <ja...@rhoden.id.au>

Regards

Gabe Wong
NGASI AppServer Manager
Application server installation and configuration AUTOMATION
http://www.ngasi.com

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.

Posted by Michael <sg...@gmx.net>.

--
<NO> OOXML - Say NO To Microsoft Office broken standard
http://www.noooxml.org

Re: Tomcat vs (other container) compatibility

Posted by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za>.
Now Tomcat is also a cool pojo application server
> Just wondering if there is anyone who has been or is involved in cross JEE
> container work, how compatible are tomcat apps with other commercial apps
> such as OC4J, Websphere, BEA and so on? If you don't use tomcat specific
> things, does it "just work", I ask because the compatibility issue might
> come up at work.

Heres an article from IBM site
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/websphere/library/techarticles/0511_li1/0511_li1.html

I have put quite a few TC servlets onto Glassfish... no problem.

I think in general you will find very little problems moving Tomcat (A
Servlet Container) to one of the above (EJB containers).
Both J2EE but they "different" animals.

Tomcat webapps generally migrate easily to most servers because they all
"stole" tomcat to begin with ;)
.... inside most of this EJB containers you will find something that looks
very much like Tomcat.

So in general no problem...

But amongst EJB servers this is not true... ie if you want to move from say
WebSphere to Jboss, or Spring or Glassfish... then suicide is a very real
possibility ;)
Tomcat is actually one of the few common denominators between these
servers.... once you have applied EJB tools, then portability is an issue.