Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Dinesh Kumar <pd...@elitmus.com> on 2007/08/14 14:22:52 UTC

[users@httpd] How to show a html file without providing the .html extension in the URL?

Hi all,

I need to display html pages without providing the .html extension in the
URL?

To illustrate:  I have a file <DocumentRoot>/readme.html.

I want to access it as http://192.168.0.100/readme

I have gone through the documentation for most of the modules, and
configuration documentation on the Apache site but failed to locate anything
that might help.  I have worked around this as of now, by using mime_magic
module and creating soft links without the .html extension to the .html
files.   But I want to reduce the manual intervention.

Thanks,
Dinesh.

Re: [users@httpd] How to show a html file without providing the .html extension in the URL?

Posted by Dinesh Kumar <pd...@elitmus.com>.
Thanks Vincent.  Works nicely!

Regards,
Dinesh.

Posted by Vincent Bray <no...@gmail.com>.

[users@httpd] Re: How to show a html file without providing the .html extension in the URL?

Posted by "\"Crash\" Dummy" <gm...@thedatalist.com>.
> I need to display html pages without providing the .html extension in the
> URL?

> To illustrate:  I have a file <DocumentRoot>/readme.html.

> I want to access it as http://192.168.0.100/readme

This may be browser dependent, but with Internet Explorer you don't need an
extension to tell it what the file is. Just drop the .html extension from the
file. A properly formatted HTML file will identify itself when the browser opens
the file. I don't have any other browsers installed to test it, but I bet it
will work with other browsers, as well. Can't hurt to try it.
--
Crash
Running: Windows 2000 Pro - IIS 5 - Apache 2.2.4 - PHP 5.2.1 - Perl 5.8.8