Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com> on 2008/07/18 18:07:20 UTC

An interest in increasing the DI'ness of ZooKeeper?

Hi Guys,

First off, great project!  I think ZooKeeper is a fabulous idea.  I
can see folks wanting to embedd ZK servers in their products too.  I
could see the ActiveMQ project embedding it for several reasons.  And
with that in mind,  I think it would be awesome of ZK tried to use
more dependency injection (DI) to configure it's objects.  That way
and embedding project could directly configure it with java code, or
use Spring or Guice etc. etc.

If you guys are interested in supporting this use case, I'd be happy
to start contributing patches to make that happen.

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Open Source SOA
http://open.iona.com

Re: An interest in increasing the DI'ness of ZooKeeper?

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
Yeah mainly.

Ideally only your main class deals with configuration parsing and it
constructs all the zk server objects using the public api which is DI
friendly.

For example, I think we should move the main() method out of the
ZooKeeperServer class.

Posted by Benjamin Reed <br...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
Will Do.

Posted by Benjamin Reed <br...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.

Posted by Mahadev Konar <ma...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Hi Hiram,

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1 :)

I'm a fellow ActiveMQ hacker too and would love to see ZK included
with ActiveMQ. Dependency Injection can really help keep your code
simple but leaving it flexible so it can be used in many different
ways.

Here's some links on DI
http://martinfowler.com/articles/injection.html
http://www.theserverside.com/tt/articles/article.tss?l=SpringFramework