Posted to commits@harmony.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2008/03/02 10:42:02 UTC

[Harmony Wiki] Update of "Google Summer Of Code 2008 Projects Proposals" by XiaoFeng Li

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Harmony Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by XiaoFeng Li:
http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/Google_Summer_Of_Code_2008_Projects_Proposals

New page:
#format wiki
#language en
(Please add your proposals in the list)
== Google Summer Of Code 2008 Projects Proposals ==
1. '''Implement the "Compressor" GC proposed by Kermany and Petrank'''.[[BR]]
The Compressor garbage collector [1] is a compacting GC that leverages virtual memory support in underlying OS. It compacts the heap in two passes. [[BR]]
[1] Haim Kermany, Erez Petrank: ''The Compressor: concurrent, incremental, and parallel compaction''. PLDI 2006.

2. '''Implement the "Mapping Collector" proposed by Wegiel and Krintz'''.[[BR]]
The Mapping Collector [2] utilizes the virtual memory support in a novel way so that it can compact the heap without moving the objects or fixing the references.[[BR]]
[2] Michal Wegiel and Chandra Krintz, ''The Mapping Collector: Virtual Memory Support for Generational, Parallel, and Concurrent Compaction'', ASPLOS 2008.

3. '''Write a graphic font-end for Harmony memory management'''.[[BR]]
Harmony runtime needs a graphic front-end visualizing the memory management activities and the runtime status. It can be standalone or better an Eclipse plugin. It can be online display of the runtime execution, or offline processing of the log.

4. '''Unify the native memory management of Harmony DRLVM'''.[[BR]]
DRLVM uses inconsistent APIs for native memory management, such as APR or malloc or mmap. It is desirable to have a unified API for native memory management. Hopefully the runtime native memory usage can be managed with a global view and then optimized. This layer could be extended to provide the API for Java heap native management as well.

Re: [Harmony Wiki] Update of "Google Summer Of Code 2008 Projects Proposals" by XiaoFeng Li

Posted by Sian January <si...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Alexei,

On 05/03/2008, Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Sian,
> With respect to javadoc, may be doxygen is sufficient. I also have
> noticed some ongoing development in appletviewer area [1] and javap
> contribution [2]. May be we may omit these tools from the task.

That's good news!  I must have missed those JIRAs/announcements.  Do you
know if any others have been started?  To me the list looks like this,
although I may have missed some more:

apt
extcheck
HtmlConvertor
idlj
jar
javaws
jconsole
jdwp
jdmpview
native2ascii
policytool
rmic
rmid
rmiregistry
serialver
tnameserv

[1] http://markmail.org/message/yhpu3m2ug3sqzwwu

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.
On the 0x3FE day of Apache Harmony Alexei Fedotov wrote:
> Hello Sian,
> With respect to javadoc, may be doxygen is sufficient. I also have
> noticed some ongoing development in appletviewer area [1] and javap
> contribution [2]. May be we may omit these tools from the task.
>
> [1] http://markmail.org/message/yhpu3m2ug3sqzwwu
>
> Egor,
> I have added the tasks. Thanks for pinging me.

nice ones, I am your fan

--
Egor Pasko

Re: [Harmony Wiki] Update of "Google Summer Of Code 2008 Projects Proposals" by XiaoFeng Li

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
Hello Sian,

Posted by Sian January <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.

--
Egor Pasko

Re: [Harmony Wiki] Update of "Google Summer Of Code 2008 Projects Proposals" by XiaoFeng Li

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
Hello Egor,

--
With best regards,
Alexei

Re: [Harmony Wiki] Update of "Google Summer Of Code 2008 Projects Proposals" by XiaoFeng Li

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Ian Rogers wrote:
> I would very much like the Jikes RVM to be working with the Harmony
> class libraries.

Yeah, that would be cool.

> I have a JIRA tracker [1] and entry in to what are the
> current Jikes RVM GSoC project proposals [2]. I would be interested in
> hearing from people who would like to help mentor such a project? I
> wonder if it might also be listed on the Harmony project list?

I'll help.  Feel free to add it to the Harmony list at
http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/Google_Summer_Of_Code_2008_Projects_Proposals

> I would
> be happy to help mentor it as a harmony GSoC project.

Great.

> Many thanks,
> Ian Rogers
>
> [1] http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/RVM-358
> [2] http://docs.codehaus.org/display/RVM/Project+Proposals+2008
> --
> http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~irogers

Ah, my old alma mater ;-)

Regards,
Tim

Re: [Harmony Wiki] Update of "Google Summer Of Code 2008 Projects Proposals" by XiaoFeng Li

Posted by Ian Rogers <ro...@gmail.com>.
Xiao-Feng Li wrote:
> Hello, I've create the wiki page for Google Summer of Code at:
> http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/Google_Summer_Of_Code_2008_Projects_Proposals
>
> I put some project proposals there as well.
>
> Thanks,
> xiaofeng

Hi,

I would very much like the Jikes RVM to be working with the Harmony
class libraries. I have a JIRA tracker [1] and entry in to what are the
current Jikes RVM GSoC project proposals [2]. I would be interested in
hearing from people who would like to help mentor such a project? I
wonder if it might also be listed on the Harmony project list? I would

Posted by Xiao-Feng Li <xi...@gmail.com>.

http://xiao-feng.blogspot.com