Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com> on 2001/06/01 16:04:15 UTC

[C2] Degradation in Batik's text rendering

Hi all,

Sorry not participating much in the beta release process, but I'm _very_
busy these days on a SVG app, and I noticed that Batik's text rendering
with the latest CVS has degraded from previous versions, at least from
C2-alpha5 : characters are anti-aliased too much and nearly unreadable
in small sizes. Just have a look at the SVG welcome page to see that.

Do other people experience the same thing ? Is it related to Batik or
changes in SVGSerializer ?

About the beta : the only problem remaining I've seen along with the
above one is PDF not displaying at the first request in IE while NS is
ok. But I remember a discussion about IE having problems displaying PDFs
if Content-Length is not set.

These small bugs are acceptable for a beta (remember those "PDF doesn't
display in IE" threads on cocoon-users), so go for it !

--
Sylvain Wallez

Re: [C2] Degradation in Batik's text rendering

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.

Berin Loritsch a écrit :

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Sorry not participating much in the beta release process, but I'm _very_
> > busy these days on a SVG app, and I noticed that Batik's text rendering
> > with the latest CVS has degraded from previous versions, at least from
> > C2-alpha5 : characters are anti-aliased too much and nearly unreadable
> > in small sizes. Just have a look at the SVG welcome page to see that.
>
> I think this had to do with the usage of Batik vs. Csiro packages.  Batik
> has a transparent background, which some browsers do not handle well
> (like Netscape 4.x).  One way around the transparent background issue is
> to explicitly put a filled rectangle with the proper background color behind
> the rest of your image.

C2-alpha5 already used Batik, but a pre-1.0 version, and placing a white
background in the SVG doesn't change anything.

> I don't know how to get Batik to control the antialiasing of fonts.  That
> might be a question for the Batik team to answer.

It's in the SVG spec : add text-rendering="optimizeSpeed" to the root
svg element (shape-rendering does the same for graphics). But this
renders heavily aliased text with latest C2 while C2-alpha5 is ok.

Anyway, thanks for helping.

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.