Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Marcin Gurbisz <gu...@poczta.onet.pl> on 2004/12/17 13:39:32 UTC

dealing with integration test

Hi,

My question is how you deal with tests which are integration rather than
simple unit test. For example tests require running server, database
(but they aren't cactus test).
I consider to possibilities:
- creating another module
- creating another dir in existing module (ex. src/integration-test)
In both possibilities I find useful to create plug-in for invoking this
tests.
I will be helpful for any thoughts.

Marcin

Re: dealing with integration test

Posted by David Jencks <dj...@gluecode.com>.
There is an existing itest plugin for this purpose.  The main example
of its use that I know about is in the openejb project at codehaus.

david jencks

Posted by Paul Spencer <pa...@apache.org>.
Marcin,
One idea I have been think about is to have a series of "test only"
projects that test the jar/war of the main project.

Maven Project     Description
---------------- -----------------------------------------------------
foo              - This project produces foo.jar.  The project includes
                    basic unit testing.
fooUnitTestPart2 - This project produces no jars or wars.  It is used
                    to run additional test on foo.jar.  These tests
                    require that core functionality in the jar/war has
                    passed all of it's unit test.
fooBasicIntTest  - This project produces no jars or wars.  It is used
                    to run basic integrated test on foo.jar.
fooAdvIntTest    - This project produces no jars or wars.  It is used
                    to run advanced integrated test on foo.jar
fooComplete      - Maven Project that include the above projects as
                    subproject. Thus building this project will build
                    foo.jar and run all of the unit and integrated test.

Advantages to this approach
o Allows jar/war to be built with only unit testing being performed.
   Test that take a lot of time, due to database setup for example,
   are moved out of the main project to a testing project.

o Use of more the one "test only" project allows for more control
   over the order test are performed.

o All test can be run using an automated build tool like CruiseControl
   and Gump.

Disadvantages to this approach
o A successful build of the main project does not mean that jar/war
   has passed all of the test.

Paul Spencer