Posted to asp@perl.apache.org by Cyril Hansen <cy...@idealx.com> on 2002/03/07 13:35:46 UTC

Wrong page displayed

Hi all,

I am new to Apache-ASP and I have the following (really strange) problem :

My web app has a menu on the side of every page.  After some use, the
links seem to stop working :
All the link display the same dynamic page. And this make the app
completely unusable.

This does not seem to be a web client problem : Each page has a
different URL and I can see the good URL in Apache access logs.

I suppose this behaviour is triggered from some mistakes in Apache
configuration or in my perl code.
Apache and mod_perl have been installed manually.

I have the idea that the problem is related to session management
because I use the session object quite heavily (storing XML trees and
such..)

Any hints ?

Regards,

Cyril HANSEN

Re: Wrong page displayed

Posted by Joshua Chamas <jo...@chamas.com>.
Cyril Hansen wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am new to Apache-ASP and I have the following (really strange) problem :
>
> My web app has a menu on the side of every page.  After some use, the
> links seem to stop working :
> All the link display the same dynamic page. And this make the app
> completely unusable.
>
> This does not seem to be a web client problem : Each page has a
> different URL and I can see the good URL in Apache access logs.

Another thing, in case this is an error in the code ... make sure
your application is running under

  PerlSetVar UseStrict 1

and that you are not doing other things that can cause problems,
like defining subs in ASP scripts, both of these which can lead
to odd variable persistence issues in mod_perl programming.

--Josh

Re: Wrong page displayed

Posted by Joshua Chamas <jo...@chamas.com>.
Cyril Hansen wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am new to Apache-ASP and I have the following (really strange) problem :
>
> My web app has a menu on the side of every page.  After some use, the
> links seem to stop working :
> All the link display the same dynamic page. And this make the app
> completely unusable.
>
> This does not seem to be a web client problem : Each page has a
> different URL and I can see the good URL in Apache access logs.
>
> I suppose this behaviour is triggered from some mistakes in Apache
> configuration or in my perl code.
> Apache and mod_perl have been installed manually.
>
> I have the idea that the problem is related to session management
> because I use the session object quite heavily (storing XML trees and
> such..)

If you think this is due to heavy session use, try using another
StateDB, which defaults to SDBM_File & is bad for storing large amounts
of data with a 1000 byte limit per key/value pair.  You could try DB_File
which is slower but scales better for larger data sets.

But I am not saying this is from heavy session use.  To investigate
the problem further, you might turn on system level debugging
with PerlSetVar Debug -1, and also start to sprinkle your code
with $Response->Debug() statements ( which works under Debug -1/1 ),
and see where the code freeze is actually occuring.  You may need to
clear the files in StateDir when switching the StateDB too.

If you can reproduce the problem, it might be helpful if you post a
bit of your error_log from a clean httpd stop/start & StateDir
purge to when the problem occurs, but be sure to have Debug -1 on
or the error_log will not be helpful in diagnosing this.

Also, whatever the final solution to your problem, please post
what you did to fix things.

-- Josh